Water leaking from Set Screw hole

Users who are viewing this thread

Sidney Moncrief

Reaction score
Hi, all. When I run bathwater from a new spout (no diverter) I just installed, water flows freely from the opening that allows access to the set screw.

My non-exhaustive internet research didn't turn up much but one article did suggest I may have overtightened the set screw, thus damaging or distorting the shape of the copper nub. I confess, I did tighten it a lot. There's a slight depression on the nub from the set screw. The nub still looks pretty round to me, but I could be wrong. There was also a ring scratched around the diameter of the pipe maybe 1/4 inch from its end. I sanded all of it down as best I could, reinstalled it, and had the same issue.

I don't see anything wrong on the inside of the spout.

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but ten minutes prior to my unsuccessful spout installation, I had to stick some bread up the pipe bringing water to the nub in order to solder an elbow to it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sidney Moncrief

Reaction score
My apologies. I'm an idiot. My wife just spotted the problem: the nub was too short and must not have been touching the 0-ring in the spout. Clearly, my better half.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks