Water heater question

Users who are viewing this thread

Dl5577

Reaction score
Is this water heater salvageable? Opened it up and found this gouge. Not in a place to return it easily. Do have alum bond and JB weld on hand but don’t want to risk it if it could be dangerous. Water damage is less of a concern as it sits under the house.
IMG_4762.jpeg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I would be a little concerned that the glass lining inside the tank may have been damaged. It all depends on how hard it was hit

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
The interior "tank " is metal with a protective coating of ........ Glass Lined, Porcelain Enameled, Vitreous Enameled or Blue Silicon Enameled ........ I stand corrected by Reach4
If it doesn't immediately leak it should be functional.
Dozens of YouTube videos of heater interiors.
If that is an Electric Heater you can remove an element to inspect the interior surface at the point of damage.
Or perhaps an Endoscope
71Jy5vrOIqL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
The interior "tank " is metal with a protective coating ........ No glass.
The tank lining is typically a form of fused-on glass. "porcelain enamel"

Fitter30

Reaction score
That puncture looks like a sharp blow to open the sheet metal up like that instead of a dent. No damage to the box? If you can't return it I'd fill it with a garden hose before installing it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
my only concern would be the tank liner (glass) could be broken or cracked. a flex cam might help inspect. Generally I wouldnt touch it if it was at my house Id return it but I understand you are stuck with it. the sheet metal is no worry and its entirely possibble harmless damage

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
A hair line crack will end up splitting open wider especially when heated and over time the tank will fail

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks