Water heater Pressure Relief drain connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Brother

Reaction score
Recently had a remodel done on a house. The water heater was replaced and it appears that the pressure relief drain tube is going to be connected directly to a drain pipe. I always thought this had to be opened air where the drain can be observed. My concern is that if this drain pipe got clogged it wouldn't be noticed right away and the pressure could build up in the water heater with no way out.

Is this ok for them to do that? Or am I right in my assumptions.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
For sanitary reasons, direct connections between potable water piping and waste lines are not permitted. It has nothing
to do with "observing" anything. Since drain piping is always open to the atmosphere (for instance at the lowest vent pipe
termination), the pressure that can occur in any drain will be very limited, and can not "build up". Whoever "them" doing
this remodel is, they are clearly not qualified to be messing with any of your plumbing!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, that valve is a Temperature and Pressure safety valve (T&P) that will open at 150psi, or 210-degrees F to prevent steam from forming or the pressure rupturing the tank...while it limits pressure, it is not really designed to open at all except in an emergency or fault situation. That still doesn't mean it can be directly connected to the drain system.

Reach4

Reaction score
For sanitary reasons, direct connections between potable water piping and waste lines are not permitted. It has nothing
to do with "observing" anything.

http://www.watts.com/pages/support/tp.asp?catId=64 says
Discharge line must pitch downward from the valve and terminate at least 6" (152mm) above a drain where any discharge will be clearly visible. The discharge line shall terminate plain, not threaded. Discharge line material must conform to local plumbing codes or ASME requirements.
I expect that visible thing is built into the codes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks