Water heater keeps starting then stopping

Users who are viewing this thread

David Bernardy

Reaction score
Last night, we had no hot water. I checked the heater, and the vent would fire, the gas would light for about 3 seconds, then shut off. It repeated this about 3 times, then stopped altogether.

I have a State Select water heater. After stopping, the control panel had 3 lights lit up. The Low (Vacation) light, then A and B.

If I turned it off, then back on, it would repeat the above sequence, then always end up with those 3 lights lit up.

I gave up and went to bed, then this morning all seems well. I'm afraid something is wrong and this will happen again. Any ideas that would help me fix the issue before it returns? Thanks.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
First step: Call customer service number on the water heater, and if it's under warranty, they will send you a new thermocouple, free of charge.
They don't cover labor and don't send a tech to your house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks