Water heater gas valve replacement costs

Users who are viewing this thread

rcatty

Reaction score
I have two 50 gallon Sears (A.O. Smith) hot water heaters hooked up together. Lately, my water temperature has been low despite (a) high setting(s). I took two temp. measurements at the closest sink and the readings were about 20-30 degrees too low for the settings. Sears came out and did a quick look at the tanks and concluded that the gas valves should be replaced on both tanks. He attempted no diagnostics on the valve(s). The parts are covered under warranty but they want $270. per tank to replace the valves. That seems awfully high to me. What would be an average fair price to replace a valve. The tanks are only 6 years old. Thank you

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the valves are furnished under warranty , depending on the models, they should BOTH be able to be done in an hour or so. BUT, regardless of what it SHOULD cost, Sears may require that THEY do the installation, and you would have to pay what they charge. Personally, I would not go to the expense of replacing gas valves on 6 year old heater. Another consideration is that it is a stretch of credibility that BOTH valves have gone bad, when I have only come across a FEW that have failed in the past 65 years in the business. I might check further to be sure that it is actually the problem. Another thing, if the controls are working, but just out of adjustment, the thermostats might be able to be recalibrated.

Reach4

Reaction score
Well water?
Do you filter incoming water?
Ever flushed the tanks?
Do you hear much in the way of noise as the heaters heat?
Are the tanks connected in parallel?
Can you crank the temperature settings higher?

rcatty

Reaction score
If the valves are furnished under warranty , depending on the models, they should BOTH be able to be done in an hour or so. BUT, regardless of what it SHOULD cost, Sears may require that THEY do the installation, and you would have to pay what they charge. Personally, I would not go to the expense of replacing gas valves on 6 year old heater. Another consideration is that it is a stretch of credibility that BOTH valves have gone bad, when I have only come across a FEW that have failed in the past 65 years in the business. I might check further to be sure that it is actually the problem. Another thing, if the controls are working, but just out of adjustment, the thermostats might be able to be recalibrated.

Your points are well taken. I am at their mercy, and only know what they tell me. I suspect only one is bad, as that one delays turning on once water is consumed. The second tank turns on immediately upon a faucet being opened. The Sears guy wanted to put a new valve in each tank, but I told him just to do one. The tanks work once the temp is turned up fairly high. In any event, it seemed that $270. was fairly high to remove the old valve and replace with a new valve. What is your opinion on the price they are quoting of $270. (excluding the valve which is being furnished free under the warranty).

I am looking into the price on new tanks. It seems crazy to have to replace tanks that are just under 6 years old!

What opinion do you have on brands for 50 gallon natural gas? Thank you

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
At $270.00 he was making about $270.00 an hour which is not bad pay if you are getting it, but a lousy deal if you are paying it. If you had called a different repair person they should have been able to get the new control from AO Smith, but even if not it still might have cost less even if you paid for the part. It IS "crazy" , until you consider that the tanks COULD start leaking next week and you are already investing $275 which could go towards the cost of the new one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks