Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fullysprinkled,
Where are the pictures?

Also JerryR
CPVC MetalHead™ Water Heater Connectors
  • Perfect for adapting to the T&P Relief valve and running a CPVC line to the floor drain 1" CPVC to 3/4 MA
Nice link.
Guess I'll have to find me a teenager to show me how to do it.
I think the pop-off line for the water heater is the installation most prone to creative interpretation by expert and amateur alike. Some of the weird stuff I see has to have been done by professionals and duly inspected by the authorities. Not trying to bust anybody's chops here; it just seems like nobody's paying that much attention to the rules when it comes to the discharge line.

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Guess I'll have to find me a teenager to show me how to do it.
I think the pop-off line for the water heater is the installation most prone to creative interpretation by expert and amateur alike. Some of the weird stuff I see has to have been done by professionals and duly inspected by the authorities. Not trying to bust anybody's chops here; it just seems like nobody's paying that much attention to the rules when it comes to the discharge line.

I have never seen one pop off. Have You ?

Normally they open because of no expansion tank, on a city water supply. Or you jack with them to see if they will open.

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
At least twice, maybe more. High water pressure, no expansion tank and no PRV.
More later, gotta go. To work.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In the "old days" there were many homes where the water heater was in a central closet with no access to the exterior. They connected a 3/8" copper line to the T&P valve then ran it out through the room next to the flue pipe. One customer stuck it into the flue pipe, figuring if the valve discharged the water would extinguish the pilot and turn off the burner. It was a good idea, unless the problem causing the discharge was a broken gas valve, then he would have had a house full of gas.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I think that volume over a long time would not be so good for the septic system,

The specification for the discharge line is that it MUST terminate in an exposed area at least 6" above the ground. It should NEVER be connected directly to the drain system in any way. It CAN discharge into a floor drain, however.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You can elaborate on that thermal runaway event if you like. Is it anything like what Mythbusters did to the water heater on their show?

Guess I missed that show. I would like to see it.

I have never seen a water heater in a house make steam. Or get to 100C/212F

It is almost impossible on the newer heaters. Unless you bypass the safety devices, or they fail. If that happens the valve will open and not reset.

And if you are lucky you will still have a House.

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Two bosses ago, (three if you count my present wife), I was sent on a service call to take care of some running toilets and drippy shower valves. I replaced washers and fill valves, etc., and when I got through everything was still dripping. After running water in the kitchen sink, which splashed up halfway to the ceiling, I touched base with the lady of the house and explained what I'd done so far, and commented on the fact that her water pressure seemed awfully good for some reason. She agreed and said that her neighbor across the street was really enjoying the higher water pressure since the city installed the new water lines. Ding-dong, cukoo, cukoo.
This was my first exposure to water pressure issues. I called it in and the boss suggested I check for a pressure regulating valve and he described it to me. Crawled under the house and found the main shut off, but nothing like a PRV. Ultimately, I installed one and everything started acting right.
Now, getting back to the point of all this, as I made my way past the water heater on my way through the crawlspace, I noticed the T&P valve actuating with a little puff of steam and a few tablespoons of water drizzling out on the dirt. It was doing it rhythmically maybe every five seconds or so.
This was maybe 23-24 years ago.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Guess I missed that show. I would like to see it.

I have never seen a water heater in a house make steam. Or get to 100C/212F

It is almost impossible on the newer heaters. Unless you bypass the safety devices, or they fail. If that happens the valve will open and not reset.

And if you are lucky you will still have a House.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I have never seen a water heater in a house make steam. Or get to 100C/212F

You usually do NOT GET to do it. When that happens, if you are close enough they get to write your obituary. It is NOT when the water gets to 212 degrees that the problem happens, it is when it gets to 321 degrees, which is the boiling point of water at 75 psi, and then the heater ruptures. When that happens anyone in the area becomes deceased , the house becomes a pile of kindling wood and makes the 6:00 P.M. news. I once had a customer call at 3:00 a.m. because her t&p discharge line on her 75 gallon gas water heater was spraying water. First I checked the heater to find out WHY it was discharging and found that the thermostat had broken and would not turn the burner off. After turning off the gas, I checked why the T&P line had a problem. It turned out that it was completely blocked somewhere inside the walls and if the installer had not made a poor connection so it leaked she would not have known about it. I told her, that if she had NOT called me when she did, SHE would have been a good candidate for a morning news flash about an explosion that destroyed someone's house along with the occupants.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I noticed the T&P valve actuating with a little puff of steam and a few tablespoons of water drizzling out on the dirt. It was doing it rhythmically maybe every five seconds or so.

IT had to be from pressure, because if it were temperature it would have fully opened and ran until the tank cooled down.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
quote; I have never seen a water heater in a house make steam. Or get to 100C/212F

You usually do NOT GET to do it. When that happens, if you are close enough they get to write your obituary. It is NOT when the water gets to 212 degrees that the problem happens, it is when it gets to 321 degrees, which is the boiling point of water at 75 psi, and then the heater ruptures. When that happens anyone in the area becomes deceased , the house becomes a pile of kindling wood and makes the 6:00 P.M. news. I once had a customer call at 3:00 a.m. because her t&p discharge line on her 75 gallon gas water heater was spraying water. First I checked the heater to find out WHY it was discharging and found that the thermostat had broken and would not turn the burner off. After turning off the gas, I checked why the T&P line had a problem. It turned out that it was completely blocked somewhere inside the walls and if the installer had not made a poor connection so it leaked she would not have known about it. I told her, that if she had NOT called me when she did, SHE would have been a good candidate for a morning news flash about an explosion that destroyed someone's house along with the occupants.
Holy Shiite, Achmed!
Tell you what, if that Mythbusters video is on YouTube you need to watch it. One of the best things they ever did.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks