Water from kitchen sink drains outside when on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Austin H

Reaction score
The builders of my home used a cheap plastic to cap, what I believe is, the clean out pipe for my kitchen sink. After 10 years the plastic has become brittle and completely broke away, leaving me with an exposed pipe and water flowing outside when the kitchen sink is on. My question is should I just place some sort temporary cap and seal it in place, or call a plumber out to rip out the brick and put on a proper cap? I have attached a picture and can provide more if need be.
IMG_3014.JPG

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I am pretty confused as to why the cleanout would not be installed to access from inside the sink base cabinet, like it is in the other million homes in the U.S.?
They would never think of doing something like that where I am because the exterior wall can be below freezing for many weeks at a time during the winter.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They do it that way because they are smart enough to know that doing it like that lets the plumber snake the line with the water running and it does not require the machine to be INSIDE the kitchen. It is the way we ALWAYS do it, unless the sink is on an inside wall. As for this person, it depends on WHAT broke off because we cannot tell from the photo what you have left to work on. If the water is flowing out, the line may also be obstructed and need snaking.

Austin H

Reaction score
Hopefully this picture can give you a better idea about what was there, I know its not the best quality, it looked similar to the blue slip on cap cover picture.
IMG_2996.JPG
cleanout-protection-cap-150.jpg
As for what is left, all there is is a bare, unthreaded piece of PVC recessed roughly 1.5" into the brick.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The plastic section nearest the exterior is not schedule 40 PVC, so you are not doing to find anything to connect to that.

An appropriately sized test fitting in the inner section of pipe may be a good patch until a proper repair can be made.

Z09KJufo5oy.JPG

Last edited:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
A properly made cleanout will not have water running out when the drain is in use, unless it's backing
up due to blockage. Can't tell what in tarnation you have there, but it doesn't look right.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That looks like a broken fitting hub and the 'white thing' is a glue in test plug with the center popped out. The drain is plugged up which is why the pipe in the wall is full of water and it runs out when the faucet is used.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks