Waste backflow and clogged sink

Users who are viewing this thread

kovacsa

Reaction score
Hi All, Our basement kitchen sink seems to have a major backflow and/or clogging issue.

The sink will gurgle at times and bring up a very foul smelling waste.

It seems it might be more than a simple clogging issue as it happens without any liquid in the sink. The problem seems further down the line.

It is not happening constantly. In the beginning, it was smaller less foul smelling black waste.

It has been happening for at least 3 weeks and only in the basement kitchen sink.

We've tried using the drain cleaner (pictured) as advised, and also by trying toilet and sink plungers (pictured) the drain seems to be heavily clogged now.

Attachments

• 20190630_165500.jpg
    20190630_165500.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 156

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have a second bowl in that sink, I presume it backs up too. Most likely you have a clog where the drain line switches from vertical to horizontal. You need it cleaned out.

Do you see the pipe coming down from above, perhaps from the upstairs kitchen? If so, I can suggest how you can clean out the pipe.

kovacsa

Reaction score
If you have a second bowl in that sink, I presume it backs up too. Most likely you have a clog where the drain line switches from vertical to horizontal. You need it cleaned out.

Do you see the pipe coming down from above, perhaps from the upstairs kitchen? If so, I can suggest how you can clean out the pipe.
Hi, Yes, There are two bowls and both have the issue.

No, Unfortunately, we can't see the pipe coming down from upstairs.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi, Yes, There are two bowls and both have the issue.

No, Unfortunately, we can't see the pipe coming down from upstairs.
If there is no cleanout, your drain cleaner could try rodding through the trap adapter. It would probably be better to add a cleanout.

If you go in and add a cleanout, you don't have to make the patch match the rest of the wall if that kitchen sink is on a closed cabinet.

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Before snacking or even trying to water jet the line try to rent a General Ramjet

I was called to a church for a kitchen sink stoppage but it turned out to be a 4" stack stoppage and all the sewer waste was flowing back into the commercial sink

Rather then try to remove the trap and have sewerage spew all over the kitchen I decided to try using the ram jet as I had nothing to lose

I started with 5 PSI then 10 Psi then 20 PSI and finally 40 and the stoppage was cleared

Attachments

• Ramjet.jpg
    Ramjet.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 138
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks