Washing machine draining issues (pics)

Users who are viewing this thread

EivlEvo

Reaction score
Greetings again all...

We had to replace a washing machine here recently, and with the new washer the drain pump seems to be overpowering our drain capacity?

Each time I've run a test cycle (no suds) it has backed up into the kitchen sink, or the rough in box, or both.

I've run the typical draino crap down and had minimal success. I've run a snake down (albeit a 1/4") and come up with nothing. Since I know the previous homeowner was a TERRIBLE diy guy, I decided I better chop open the wall and have a look.

This is what I found.
26352351575_4d7bd147da_k.jpg

26352351575_4d7bd147da_k.jpg
2016-04-10_02-23-32[/url] by poweredbydsm, on Flickr[/IMG]

My question I guess is... where do I go from here? Should I install an AAV someplace? Is this proper? It appears to run into and under the floor (appears to attach to cast iron using one of the worm gear sleeves we all love).

Would love any and all advice.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The missing vent is not causing the drain to back up. You have a restriction in the line or a horizontal section that is not properly sloped further down the line.

EivlEvo

Reaction score
The missing vent is not causing the drain to back up. You have a restriction in the line or a horizontal section that is not properly sloped further down the line.

Thanks... how might I go about solving this issue then? The snake seems unwilling to get around the s trap (maybe I need to try harder?) but where this pipe enters the floor I wouldn't have access to. This is the lower level of a split level...

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would cut the pipe off as high as possible where it comes through the floor and install a cleanout there for future use, and then rework the drain and vent as need be.

EivlEvo

Reaction score
I guess my plan then would be to install a wye or a sani tee (advice on which?) and run the cleanout vertical on the drain. When you say vent... this pipe I would suspect heads underground at about 5 oclock towards the stack (about 10 feet).

Knowing that this drain is in the floor, and the kitchen sink's drain is about 12" up I would think that the sink backing up might indicate that the clogging is in the main stack? I'm just trying to think logically here... as you've all guessed at this point, I'm not a plumber... how does one clear a clog like this? Is this a job that surpasses a homeowner and moves to a pro? I'm a pretty handy guy... I can't think of how a pipe the size of the stack would get clogged or cleared short of maybe a water jet?

There is a clean out stub under the sink which is a straight shot laterally to the stack (about 6 feet) am I better off tackling it there? The sink doesn't back up aside from using the washing machine... but then again, it's a much lower rate of flow I suspect?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If water from the washer backs up into the kitchen sink, the blockage is in the drain past where those two drains connect.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldn't use a water bladder for that. It needs to be snaked out. Have you got a cleanout somewhere you could use? You might be able to snake it from the roof, but it is best to avoid that in most cases.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I guess my plan then would be to install a wye or a sani tee (advice on which?) and run the cleanout vertical on the drain. When you say vent... this pipe I would suspect heads underground at about 5 oclock towards the stack (about 10 feet).

A sanitary tee is the correct fitting, and the cleanout can be above it, with the vent continuing above that.

We cannot see how your house is plumbed, but if the main stack or building sewer is restricted, it would be best to hire a plumber to rod the entire line with a properly sized mechanical rodder.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks