Washing Machine Drain Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

RicK A.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

New 1st time homeowner who just bought a 100 yr old house. Last owner did a lot of DIY repairs and not much is right. Want to make my additions to code and do things right (and eventually fix all his blunders).

Short story is I need to install a washing machine. There is a utility sink in the basement, but its on the other side of the room from where I need it (and shares a drain branch with the kitchen sink / dishwasher). That line eventually goes out the roof as an auxiliary vent, but as a wet vent, and there is not a separate vent line leaving that utility sink.

So since all that is happening and I want to washer on the other side anyway, I am running all new drain pipe.

Attached is what I have laid out so far. Everything is 2", except the vent line which is 1.5".

My main concern is splicing it into the stack. I am confused about the max trap height. Multiple diagrams have the height being measured from different places (bottom of the trap, bottom of the pipe leaving the trap, center of the pipe leaving the trap, etc.) What is customary? I will need to add the 3x3x2 Sanitary Tee to the stack, and raise/replace the current cleanout. I am scratching the max height by having to add the new Sanitary Tee above the current one that drains the kitchen line. Is it okay to just add it directly over the current Sanitary Tee, or could I even replace it with a Double Tee and connect both drains to the stack that way? It's only about a 5' run, so it doesn't have to slope much, but I want to make sure that there isn't an issue with the height off the ground.

Coming off the drain is a 1.5" vent pipe. I will put a temp Studer valve on there after raising the height of it to above the top of the standpipe. I will eventually tie it into the main vent system to the house, but I need a temp fix the get laundry going and figured it should work in the short term.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• plumbing 1.jpg
    plumbing 1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 445
  • plumbing 2.jpg
    plumbing 2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 313
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks