Vinyl Window Question: Ok for corners to buckle?

Users who are viewing this thread

BrianZ

Reaction score
The attached photo is a Maritech Vinyl window in a new house (10 months since construction). The house is under a 'bonded builder's' warranty and the window is possibly under a manufacturer warranty. Is this buckling of the window at the corners normal or is there a defect in the window or its installation? If its a defect, how can it be fixed?

Attachments

• IMG_0420.JPG
    IMG_0420.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 383

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not normal or acceptable. The house may have shifted slightly, or the opening wasn't properly sized, or they used a foam sealant that expanded too much for the space (they typically us a low-expansion rate foam). I supposed it could be a window defect, but more likely, it's a structural or installation error.

BrianZ

Reaction score
Several windows are like this. The builder's warranty may cover it, but not if it is caused by the ground shifting, which will be his claim most likely.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If the ground has shifted that much in 10 months he should be on the hook for a whole new foundation!

In swampy areas it takes some site analysis & prep to get foundations that don't buckle & sink over time, but experienced builders in the swampy parts of MS should be experts at that. Is your foundation a slab-on-grade with footings & stemwalls, slab-on-grade with grade beams, or something else?

BrianZ

Reaction score
Its a slab on grade with footing/stemwalls. Its not particularly swampy relative to anywhere else in MS as far as I can tell, and the grade tapers away from the house on all sides. I don't see any signs of shifting.

I think the windows have always been like this. I noticed it a while ago. Some also don't close easily and have to be pushed down to get the window lock in place.

What is involved in replacing a vinyl window (does brick siding interfere with the work)?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If there wasn't sufficient clearance between the rough framing for the window you might have to go with a slightly smaller window. As long as the flashing was done correctly on the original window installation there shouldn't be any real issues. If the window is buckled because they sealed it with an expanding foam that was insufficiently compressible it's a PITA to do but it's likely that an exact replacement would work.

A window installation problem is a much happier problem to deal with than a foundation problem- let's hope they can resolve it without a lot of pushback or messing up your house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks