Vintage toilet problems

Users who are viewing this thread

VickieLynn

Reaction score
I have two very old toilets, that date AT LEAST back to 1968, if not before.

The bowl has the old "Standard" logo (NOT "American Standard").

Between the age of the tank, and the poor "stamp", and my poor vision, I'm really struggling to read the model number. I ***think*** it says "F 4043. It also does say "Standard".

I cannot read any of the numbers on the lid.

The one in the main bathroom flushes really well, no problems, although if I take a tub bath, then when I drain the tub, the water syphons out of THAT toilet, and it takes a couple of hours before the toilet will flush again. That bathroom only has ONE vent for all three fixtures.

The one in the master bath is the problem child. I did replace the fill valve and flapper about 2 years ago. Recently, it began to act as if it was clogged. The toilet fills OK and stops at the water line, but now it doesn't flush right. The stopper opens right up, but the water rises to the top of the bowl (and sometimes overflows) and then slowly goes out of the drain.

Once all the water slowly goes out of the bowl, it gurgles and continues to suction/syphon for up to 20 seconds. The bowl water never rises back to what would be a "normal" level. and always slowly drains down until it gurgles/syphons, and then just stays there. Pouring a large amount of water from a 5 gal. container does not improve the flush/draining. Same thing happens.

I have been able to clear this troublesome toilet in the past, using a plunger, hot water and soap, but it clogs again fairly soon. I no longer put ANY paper or wipes or anything else down the toilets.

I have used CLR and plain white vinegar, (at different times) to see if there is a problem with the holes under the rim or the syphon hole. I have also tried manually cleaning them, but they don't "seem" to be clogged.

I suspect that it may be a clog where the toilet drain pipe meets the vent pipe. That bathroom has one vent that serves the sink and toilet, and one for the shower. I cannot get up on the roof to check the vents. In the other bathroom, if I take a tub bath, then the water in that toilet syphons out, and then will not flush well until a couple of hours later. One story on slab with main bath on front of house, and master bath on back of house, with main drain on a straight line from one to the other.

What troubleshooting measures should I do before I call someone to check the vents and drains? I live right at the Federal Poverty Line, and don't know how I would pay for a plumber to diagnose this issue.

Any help you can offer would be most appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you don't have attachment to the toilets for the vintage aspect, I suggest changing one of them first. I expect that will work fine with the existing plumbing. I cannot be sure, but there is a really good chance. The Toto Entrada gets good comments as having nice performance for a moderate price.

With all of the work you have put in, I understand you hate to abandon that work you invested. But really, you will be glad you did it.... Maybe if Mom asks what you want for your birthday....

You could change the second toilet later if you like.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a problem in your drain lines. A toilet can't flush if the line is already full.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
What Jim said. Call a good plumber, one without Rooter in the name, and ask him to come examine your lines and be prepared to snake them. That should solve your problem.

powder-puff-toilet.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks