Viability of old floor furnace

Users who are viewing this thread

SDmarkus

Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg

Greetings!

Wanted to get your opinion on this old floor furnace in a home I'll be remodeling this winter. I'll have a FAU in place at some point but need something to keep the pipes from freezing in the meantime:
Sears Floor Furnace
Model # 138-73743
Serial # FH769988

Thoughts?

Many thanks!

-Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Are you insured against a catastrophic fire?

Where is the exhaust vented to, and how?

The nameplate 49,000 BTU/hr output of the thing is higher than the whole house heat load of most homes in Oregon. The 70,000 BTU/hr in means that it's only a miserable 70% efficiency too.

A couple of 1500 watt oil-filled radiator type space heaters would keep the pipes from freezing, with fewer safety concerns, as long as you don't plug them into some crummy circuit with 20AWG aluminum wiring.

611768073368lg.jpg

SDmarkus

Reaction score
Good point, although at this point I wouldn't mind torching the place!;)

The exhaust is vented down and out through a nearby closet where it rises and penetrates the roof.

Better safe than sorry, I'll explore other options. Thanks Dana!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks