Venting Question (With Photos!): Tieing together 3", 2", 1.5" where the 2" is vertical

Users who are viewing this thread

RedBird52

Reaction score
I am so grateful for having access to this forum and all of the information contained within! Thank you everyone for sharing your knowedge with me!

So, I have a super tight bathroom renovation. 1st floor is full bathroom and Laundry. 2nd floor is full bathroom. Before I install this vent combination, wanted to confirm it was viable!

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 10.53.39 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 11.07.20 AM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 11.03.44 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 11.03.44 AM.png
    509 KB · Views: 39

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is the picture of the first or second floor?

You're going to need to diagram the drains and vents on this floor more fully. But my first reaction is that the 3" pipe segment labeled in red as 3" horizontal vent has no function and should be deleted. If it's not venting an individual fixture, you don't need it. I don't see how it could be venting an individual fixture, and if it were, I would expect that the horizontal segment is below the fixture flood rim, which is disallowed.

Cheers Wayne

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK, I see that 248 CMR 10.05(a) does require that you have a minimum 3" vent stack or stack vent. But whether you need the horizontal connection shown would depend on whether there is any other 3" path from the building drain to a roof vent. If you did need it, it seems very odd to me to connect a vent to a branch drain and then go horizontal after so little elevation rise.

Basically, I think we need the big picture of the entire DWV system, at least in block format.

Cheers, Wayne

RedBird52

Reaction score
Just want to say thanks to Wayne who contributed to this post. Was able to move this forward with all of your help. thank you much!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks