Updating laundry plumbing - vent and drain pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

K9mlxj

Reaction score
Hi,

I posted a thread a while earlier to upgrade the existing washer drain in the garage to 2" drain pipe (although too busy haven't got a wkend to do yet).

I am right now thinking about adding a 20" wall-mount utility sink, and wanting to swap the positions of dryer and washer (see the first and the last diagrams),

that way the front-loading dryer is closest to the front of a vehicle, and there is somewhat of a bit more room to open the dryer door.

So the dryer would be at the far left (A/B), next to the water heater at the left corner,
the washer would be in the middle (B/C),
and
the utility sink would be at the right corner (D).

Further to the right of D (one more stud) would be a garage entrance door.

(see diagram at bottom)

What I'd want to know,

1) how to set up the P-trap for the washer -- I suppose, would be to branch out from the new 2" drain A (I'd have to drill thru' three 2x4 studs to column B),

2) how (and where) to set up the P-trap for the utility sink,

3) and how (and where) to set up the vents for both.

4) For the dryer's air vent,

I was thinking about making a hole thru' the stucco at the location E.

But there's also a vent (E2, above water heater) up to the roof used by the water heater (see 2nd photo). I wonder if it's a good idea to add a pipe to route to that spot from the new dryer location (A/B) for the air vent.

Or it's better to use location E since location E is so close to the new dryer location.

Also is there any min/max height of the air vent by code (CA)?

5) I plan to put in a washing machine outlet box in column C (is that the best spot?). The window is about 43" above ground level. Is there enough room to put the outlet box in column C below the window?

Notes:
I'd be changing the copper piping and the gas pipe to accommodate these changes.

Let me know if my ideas make good sense.

Garage plumbing 1.jpg

garage plan diagram.png

water heater.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks