Two appliances, one wire?

Users who are viewing this thread

FreeLander

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 220v 2amp pump and a 220v 0.5amp fan that I will only use together. Therefore, I want them both on a single plug.

Is it as simple as wiring both hot wires into a third wire extending from the plug? and doing the same with neutral?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First off, to get 220-240, there is no neutral wire, both are 120vac to ground that essentially get added together to get the 240 nominal at least in the USA.

They may have used a common electrical cable with white and black, but they should have marked the white wire with red or black to indicate it's a hot lead.

Now, some devices that run on 240vac may need a neutral, as they may have some internal stuff that requires 120vac, and that does require the neutral, but if the devices now run fine with just the two leads, there is no neutral there.

As long as you maintain the proper wire gauge for the circuit, you can power both items with the same feed.

Do these things have plugs on them, or are they hard-wired?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 220v 2amp pump and a 220v 0.5amp fan that I will only use together. Therefore, I want them both on a single plug.

Is it as simple as wiring both hot wires into a third wire extending from the plug? and doing the same with neutral?
Can you post a picture of any labels from the pump and motor? Not sure what would need a 220v pump motor that only draws 2 amps?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
People may choose 240vac devices because they require smaller gauge supply wires and may run cooler as a result.

FreeLander

Reaction score
First off, to get 220-240, there is no neutral wire, both are 120vac to ground that essentially get added together to get the 240 nominal at least in the USA.

They may have used a common electrical cable with white and black, but they should have marked the white wire with red or black to indicate it's a hot lead.

Now, some devices that run on 240vac may need a neutral, as they may have some internal stuff that requires 120vac, and that does require the neutral, but if the devices now run fine with just the two leads, there is no neutral there.

As long as you maintain the proper wire gauge for the circuit, you can power both items with the same feed.

Do these things have plugs on them, or are they hard-wired?
Hi. I see where you're coming from, but I reside in the UAE and it's always 220v with a brown hot and a blue natural, and a colored ground. They both look like this:

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 10.16.22 AM.png

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
You changed your Location to UAE. The other night it was USA. North America, Japan and a few other countries, 220 voltage is a different set up. Your 220 which may be now 230v is single phase. One Hot, One Neutral, one Ground. The yellow/green is the ground, Brown is the hot, Blue is the neutral. If one line is fused, it always the hot side.

The plug has a fuse but no idea of the rating and the pump motor is 2.5 amps. The fan is .5 amps. If the fuse it 2.5 amp it will blow, 3.0a fuse it may blow. It is a one time fuse, if it blows it must be replaced.

I would suggest get a plug for the fan if there isn't one and use what we call a power strip. Multiple plugs mounted together with one plug to the wall outlet. Such as https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-6-Universal-Protector-SUPER6OMNI/dp/B000AQG2N8

1651865574173.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks