Tub/Shower - No Hot Water

Users who are viewing this thread

Blake101

Reaction score
The house we just bought has a spare bathroom and it has an old cast iron tub with shower. When you turn the water all the way to the right you get nice cold water. If you turn it to the left it warms up a little bit but is still cold. I took a picture of the insides to see if you guys could identify the valve so that I might try replacing it.

Thanks,
Blake

Attachments

• DSC05146.JPG
    DSC05146.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 146

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd pull the cartridge out and take it to a plumbing supply outlet, not a big box store. If you can try to gt a OE replacement, not after market one.

Blake101

Reaction score
I was able to remove the cartridge but it didn't come out easy and I had to go buy the puller tool which was only about $12. Once I got it out I noticed that the rubber sections at the end had both broken and only a few pieces came out. I was never able to figure out where the rest of the pieces went so I just went ahead and installed the new Moen 1225 and now it is working great.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You had a very common problem with the Moen. I replaced these cartridges (Moen 1222 Posi temp) in three other homes of family and friends plus my own. Generally the rubber components will tear when you pull them and they are usually real tough to pull. The problem is deep inside the cartridge is a piece of round slug of metal that is used for pressure balance or temperature balance, I'm not sure, and it gets jammed. If you take the new cartridge and shake it you'll hear it rattling back and forth, the old one won't. Take the old one and give it a good rap on its end. Most likely you'll hear the rattling. The last one I changed out about a year ago I noticed that the Moen brand replacement cartridge that this piece has a black coating on it. Not sure what it is. These cartridges easily come apart so you can see it.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks