Tub diverter won't thread all the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Dfbecker

Reaction score
Hello there, novice plumber here. Thought it would be easy to replace the diverter faucet in my tub as it wasn't diverting much of the water to the shower head. The existing diverter was the screw-on type without any screw on the underside into the copper pipe. When I took a pipe wrench to unscrew it, the brute force applied to it actually caused the threaded part of the diverter to break off completely, leaving a ring of metal still screwed onto the copper.

Easy enough, I unscrewed that ring from the threads, cleaned off the old Teflon tape, and even used a Dremel to clean off the mineral buildup that was in the part of the copper threading that hadn't been used in the old diverter. It actually looks pretty clean now.

Bought a new diverter, a "universal" type from Home Depot. It threads onto the pipe and seems to be the appropriate length, but it will not thread all the way to the wall. I can put all of my elbow grease behind the pipe wrench to get it to keep turning and it just stops with just over 1/4 inch of space to the wall. Won't go any farther. And this is without the Teflon tape wrapped onto the pipe! I just wanted to make sure either will fit, and it does not. I can try a different branded universal diverter but in worried the same thing will happen. It does not seem like the diverter is allowing the pipe to thread all the way inside, but it's hard to tell. Kind of stuck now with an unusable shower! Any ideas?

Additionally, in the photo of the pipe you can see that the front end of the threading is darker. That was the part that was actually covered by the old diverter. It had not been threaded on beyond that point.

Attachments

• C4A933B6-4BF8-48D4-9DB5-63AA31ABB4C6.jpeg
    C4A933B6-4BF8-48D4-9DB5-63AA31ABB4C6.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 322
  • 0250F0D4-42D5-40C4-9239-A776284B840B.jpeg
    0250F0D4-42D5-40C4-9239-A776284B840B.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
It appears it is yellow brass .

Very brittle piping as it contains 40% zinc as opposed to red brass 15% Zinc

Best bet remove the nipple and install a universal tub spout with diverter

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pipe nipples come in 1/2" increments. There is no standard length for a pipe nipple, it's whatever the job needs.
Delta does make an easier spout that installs that allows a 1-1/4" margin of error.

delta-rp5834-2.jpg

Dfbecker

Reaction score

Could you give me an example of what nipple I should replace it with? This one should be able to unthread from the wall as it started to turn a bit when I was using my pipe wrench to try to get the new diverter on.

So, I unscrew this nipple pipe, and replace it with what, exactly? I want to make sure I get the right thing. I have to buy a new diverter anyways because I ruined the finish on this one with my pipe wrench trying to muscle it on there.

Could this work?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Lead-Free-Brass-Pipe-Nipple-1-2-in-x-6-in-MIP-802609/207176406

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
That is exactly what you should be looking for. A good plumbing supply will have them in several different lengths, which is necessary because the position of the fitting in the wall and the overall thickness of the wall must be factored in to length needed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF you want to use the same spout, with the one you tried to install, measure the distance from the end of it to the wall with it screwed in place. THen, when you get the old nipple out of the wall, subtract that distance from the wall, and that's your desired nipple length.

NOte, there's usually a turn or so leeway between tight enough and max on each end. You can fudge things also by adding another wrap or two of the PTFE tape...more will make it tighten a little longer, less, closer. You do need at least a couple of wraps to make it seal, though...IOW, don't go too few.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks