Treatment Options for Arsenic and Iron

Users who are viewing this thread

busybeaver

Reaction score
My wife and I are in the final phase of purchasing a wonderful property in the country, our only hang-up is the terrible raw water quality from the 1yr old, 200ft well. We have always been fortunate to have amazing water and are worried we will not be able to attain that here. I grabbed a jug of water after the inspection, it is cloudy, has a strange odor (metallic/chemical, kind of reminds me of stale water left in a plastic bottle in the sun), and if shaken it fizzes like pop. What the heck is causing that?

I have done a lot of searching but have found few definitive answers. My hope is to get in-touch with a couple local water companies this week. I'd like to have an informed conversation about our options, so I'm starting here.

Flow 10.8 gpm

2.09 mg/l Iron (0.300) (MCL)

0.0517 mg/l Arsenic (0.0100)

118 mg/l Hardness (250)

ND Nitrate

191 mg/l TDS (500)

7.9 pH (8.5)

Absent Coliform

Absent E. coli

From what I gather, Arsenic speciation will determine whether or not we will need an oxidizing agent such as H2O2.

Katalox Light seems like it might be a good option, but what, if any media would we use to pull out more AS after Katalox?

Should we test for other elements before deciding on a treatment system?

What component manufacturers are worth my money and which should we steer clear? I am willing to spend more if it gets us a reliable system with solid part availability.

What will a complete system look like from inlet to outlet?

Will we be able to have great tasting water when it's all said and done?

Reach4

Reaction score
From what I gather, Arsenic speciation will determine whether or not we will need an oxidizing agent such as H2O2.
With various media, removing enough iron will take the arsenic out somehow.

Oxidizer like H202 before KL would probably be better than some alternatives.

busybeaver

Reaction score
Water treatment is definitely not my wheelhouse. From everything I've read, it seems to me that media/process selection is an art form without definitive solutions. Is there a straight forward resource available?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Is there a straight forward resource available?
Water conditions vary and so the treatment method appropriate at one location, maybe less effective at an alternate location, even as water conditions may appear very similar.

Posting the complete lab test report is typically requested. Although some conditions maybe indicated within acceptable limits and are often assumed will be irrelavent, when determining treatment methods that will be most effective, it is usually best to consider all conditions including those within acceptable limits.

yooperwater

Reaction score
We use a media called metsorb with very good results on arsenic, you would want a water softener/iron filter on the front end to take care of the iron and make it as clean as possible before the going into the media. This would be for a whole house application so every faucet would be treated.
If you wanted just point of use drinking water you cant go wrong with a reverse osmosis system with chlorine chemical feed to convert the possible arsenic 3 to 5 so the membrane can take it out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks