Toilet off level by more than an inch

Users who are viewing this thread

Justfixit

Reaction score
I have a toilet that needs to be replaced. The front of the toilet is over an inch lower than the back is, if I'd set it right on the floor. Too much to use shims. I saw someone using plaster of paris under it to level it out but I don't feel like plaster is strong enough. It's also not very tolerable to water. I'm looking for any ideas. I thought about using Quikcrete but it's not fine enough. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20240126_140031.jpg
    20240126_140031.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 42

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
The correct thing to do is level the floor but if that's out of the question, it will be difficult to find a solution that will look nice.

If I were to try something, it might be epoxy mixed in with a thickening agent. Colloidal silica is white and you would end up with a matte white joint. I would apply tape to the side of the toilet and then use a plastic drywall trowel to contour the very thick (peanut butter consistency) epoxy under and around the bowl. You'd want to protect the floor as well. Make sure the epoxy does not bond to either the floor or the toilet so that the toilet can be removed if required.

And the only reason I'm even suggesting that is because I have both a gallon of epoxy and colloidal silica on hand. I use both as a fairing compound so the learning curve for me would be negligible. But it's probably not easy to work with your first time and it would be expensive to purchase the material.

An alternative would be to use shims and silicone. But for the shims, I'd use some thick plastic stock. Not sure what's available to you but UHMW square bars or something like a 3/8" cutting boards that you can get at Ikea would probably work. Cut the board to size and stack a few pieces together. And then get creative with a backer rod and silicone.

Are you sure you can't use the regular plastic shims you would use for toilets? They are about 1/4" thick so you would need to stack 7 or 8 of them to get the thickness you need. They have holes in them so you can screw the stack to the floor with a SS screw and then put the toilet on top. A few stacks of these at strategic locations would work. And then backer rod and silicone.

But fixing the floor will give the best results.

Last edited:

Peterson

Reaction score
The toilet is totally fine. It's the floor that needs to be fixed. I have seen scenarios where somebody creates a pad of concrete in the shape of the bowl outline to level out the toilet. We had a similar situation in an old house I used to live in. The toilet in the basement was set in wet concrete on the flange to level it out.

If the floor cannot be repaired, can the toilet be repaired? I'd be tempted to repair the toilet and not open a can of worms.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Peterson really confused the issue .
Justfixit, clearly stated the toilet is OUT OF LEVEL BY MORE THAN AN INCH ! and Peterson says its the floor well I look at the install and it clearly looks like the toilet is sloping toward the front ? I suspect the flange is high and the toilet teeter totters on the flange. Justfixit for his own reason wants to do something about it Id pull toilet inspect and go from there but Id concider a new toilet . Warning a proper fix may involve some work

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
I guess checking the floor level with a proper level would be in order. A 1" drop over 24" should be quite noticeable.

If the floor is level, the flange being too high makes sense. And with bolts on one end of the toilet, it's easy to see how the other end would raise as the bolts are tightened.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks