Toilet move using the same drain .....

Users who are viewing this thread

wayne smith

Reaction score
My wife wants the toilet moved closer to the side wall........would use the same drain as it runs under the new location......I have a tile floor and the ceiling below everything is finshed....Has anyone come up with a way to connect to the drain from the top without having to come in from underneath???
I would cap the old flange as there will be a vanity over the top of it......

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Not without removing a lot of flooring, which might also happen if you did it from underneath. You wouldn't have to "cap" the old opening because it would be "dead" anyway.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Also, keep in mind the code requirements...at least 15" either side of the toilet centerline to obstructions (like a wall). There are some very specific rules on where and how big you can make a hole in joists...plumbers tend to break those rules (well, lots of trades do!). It can create problems down the line if you don't follow those rules, though.

wayne smith

Reaction score
Thanx guys......I would be running with the joists so the issue is opening up the ceiling from below to put the new joint in and drilling the tile/underlayment for the flange.......it might be easier to change my wife's mind....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I would think you would want to cap an open 3" or 4" pipe to prevent sewer gas into the home.

If his description is correct, that the drain line is UNDER the new location, he would be cutting the 3" off to reposition the toilet, so the old opening should NOT be connected to anything with sewer gas in it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks