Toilet Flange to Cast Iron

Users who are viewing this thread

Winger27

Reaction score
I am getting ready to tile my bathroom floor. I had a cast iron flange that was leaded on. I removed it so now I have a 4" elbow coming up to the floor. It sits about a 1/2" below. I bought a compression type flange to go on the outside. Will this work? My concern is that the wax ring won't seal everything, it doesn't seem to catch much flange. I am open to suggestions. Thanks

I have pics but can't seem to attach them

Reach4

Reaction score
Irfanview is a good free Windows program to resize and compress photos. There is a learning curve.

Winger27

Reaction score
Sorry lets try this
Toilet flange1.jpg Toilet3.jpg Toilet2.jpg Toilet4.jpg

Attachments

• Toilet2.jpg
    Toilet2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 318

Reach4

Reaction score
Should be fine. Fasten the top ring to the floor before you tighten up the bottom ring. I would use silicone grease on the rubber to let it better slide into/across the rough areas of the pipe. But then I have a tube of silicone grease, and when in doubt I grease up the rubber on what I am assembling.

I read that there are wax rings for use on 4 inch closet flanges, but not on 3 inch. Those may be hard to come by. I could see forming the wax by hand to be more over the blue and less over the hole. But still, I think you have enough surface there to make a good seal. I am not a pro.

Reach4

Reaction score
I tend to overdo things that I only do on rare occasion. As such, I would probably take wax from another ring, and smush it into the slots and screw holes of the flange once it was in place and the closet bolts are in position. I know that would be unnecessary, but I know it would not hurt. Then I would place the new wax ring and toilet.

Winger27

Reaction score
I finally got around to start putting the flange on. It seems like I have to custom make a wax ring due to the 5" diameter I.D.. Could I just use a Sani-Seal and be good or do these not work. They seem to fit the larger dia. better

Attachments

• 20150430_005547.jpg
    20150430_005547.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 254
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks