Tile guy made a mistake - how to fix it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Curiousv

Reaction score
TIle guy did a good job accept one corner tile
As you can see in the pic - in one corner tile has more gap compared to rest of others tiles
We have not put grout yet

So should we remove the tile which is short (which is why there is bigger gap) and replace with correct size
or we should just fill the bigger gap with grout? instead removing that tile

if we just fill with grout - will it leak or will look bad?
finally if we decide to remove that tile (its completely dried with redgard and cement baker board)
20231223_102810_mfnr.jpg

Attachments

• 770695c09254cba44b0154757daf50fda8e42cdd-1.jpg
    770695c09254cba44b0154757daf50fda8e42cdd-1.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 49
  • df8ba00e2c341772e2059d28c6ea05df5a196046-1.jpg
    df8ba00e2c341772e2059d28c6ea05df5a196046-1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
aestetic only . grout joints could be 3/8 inch with correct grout. if you are happy with the appearance then its fine

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
if we just fill with grout - will it leak or will look bad?
Leak? No bearing on that, if the redgard is properly applied, it won't leak. Look bad? That's up to you.
finally if we decide to remove that tile (its completely dried with redgard and cement baker board)
That will give you a chance of a leak. Usually the redgard is broken by the tile removal, and if it gets broken near the edge of the revealed area, when painting on new redgard it may be hard to tie it in properly with the existing redgard. On the other hand, if the tile comes off without breaking the redgard, no problem. And the risk is much different if it's 6" off the shower pan, vs 4' up.

Cheers, Wayne

Curiousv

Reaction score
The tile in question is 4 feet above the top of tub - sorry I should have mentioned that in the initial post.
Now what do you think?

bingow

Reaction score
@Curiousv if the gap is that red-tinted area in the right hand photo, you will always notice it. I'd be tempted to try an oscillating tool to remove it and replace.

Curiousv

Reaction score
@Curiousv if the gap is that red-tinted area in the right hand photo, you will always notice it. I'd be tempted to try an oscillating tool to remove it and replace.
It is not red tinted area - what you see is - redgard through this gap - we have not put grout yet. I have uploaded more pic so you have better idea.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
if the grout isnt contrasting with the tile it might not look too bad . Of cource pulling tile and resetting is option

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks