Tile bead kit for alcove (3 wall recessed)

Users who are viewing this thread

Sunseteco

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install a new American standard tub that does not have a tile flange. It says in the instructions to install a tile bead kit. I have been reading about said kit and am kind of skeptical on using it as a lot of people have had problems using it. whether it is being pushed out or not adhering to the tub itself. Anyone have advise to use it or not? I'm putting up a 5 piece glue up surround that will go down to the tub with hardie backer behind it. Just trying to get my ducks in a row. thanks

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you bring the backer board all the way down to 3/16 from the tub deck and caulk the gap, I would think that would be good if the tub is properly leveled so the walls will install correctly.

Sunseteco

Reaction score
If you bring the backer board all the way down to 3/16 from the tub deck and caulk the gap, I would think that would be good if the tub is properly leveled so the walls will install correctly.

Thanks Cacher, I was also thinking about running a boarder of either metal flashing or sheet metal around the perimeter where the tub meets the studs and then caulking that gap as well. I am not sure if that's common practice or not but it sounds god on paper. This is my first attempt at a job like this, just want to make sure I do it right. another thing I am wonder is since there is no flange, how does one properly secure the tub to the studs?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thanks Cacher, I was also thinking about running a boarder of either metal flashing or sheet metal around the perimeter where the tub meets the studs and then caulking that gap as well. I am not sure if that's common practice or not but it sounds god on paper. This is my first attempt at a job like this, just want to make sure I do it right. another thing I am wonder is since there is no flange, how does one properly secure the tub to the studs?

It would be more common to install wood blocking between the studs, which will also provide a solid backer for the ends of the backerboard.

If the tub is a good one, it is rigid enough that the flooring installed up against the apron will keep it from sliding out. The wall side should be supported by a ledger board.

Sunseteco

Reaction score
Still not sure on this...….I have the tub installed, leveled and slightly resting on the ledger boards. I would still like to fasten the tub to the studs somehow. Since there is no flange, I am hesitant to drill through the tub lip that goes downward, under the tub. Is that ok or not with this tub being Acrylic?? Also, I noticed that there are small wooded blocks glued under the corners of the tub.....what are they for?? I am going to have to cut my main apron support around these 2 blocks on the front of the tub so that I can run my support board the entire length of the tub. Thank you for any support. Dustin

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
There are plenty of youtube videos on tub installation. Most of the weight and stress is placed on the floor of the tub so is there any instructions about support under the tub? Some tubs come with a foam block, others you need to put down a mortar bed. Once the floor tile is set against the tub, it will hold the tub in place.
The tile bead kit is a chintzy way to seal it. If you get the tub nice and level and install the walls, use 1/8" tile shims to make a even space all around. As suggested by cacher caulk at the backer board and then use siliconized bath and tub caulk between the tub and walls.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would not secure the tub with any kind of fasteners. If anything moves, there is a pretty good chance it will crack at the fasteners.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks