Threading in shower arm fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

doug pp

Reaction score
I'm probably going to mess some terminology up here...

But I'm trying to finish up a small remodel project.

For the shower head piping: i have the copper in the the wall up to a threaded 90. I had to put an extension on that.

The walls are closed up and tiled.

When threading in the polished chrome arm that the shower head screws into, when i get it tight its pointing almost 90 degrees to the right instead of down. (Its straight with a 45 bend down)

Anyone know how i can get it in tight and have it point down to the rub instead of at the wall?

Oh ya, anyone have a good suggestion for where to find a square escutcheon for the shower? Everything is Kohler. My tile guy didn't check to see how small the escutcheon was....

20210306_172609.jpg
20210306_172732.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I find it easier to spin in the arm by either inserting something like a screwdriver in the end of the arm for leverage, or thread on the shower head and that gives you more leverage too.
I do three wraps of tape on those where it goes in the wall. You don't need to be a gorilla when tightening. Sometimes you need to know when to stop.
Some heads come with a rubber washer, if it does, then I don't tape the end that receives the shower head.

Also, I put the longer part of the arm in the wall, the short side gets the shower head.

shower-arm-terrylove-01.jpg

Looks to me that you have the shower arm in the wrong way.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use the handle of my channel lock plier to tighten shower arm. A tile guy would know that tile cut out is too big no excuse. Just tell him fix it

doug pp

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply and help!

The tile is what it is a this point unfortunatley. I won't even bother with the spacing, grout joints or anything. I probably could of done it myself and have it look just as crappy...

So is there any conearn of overt tightening it and splitting it?

I think it just needs a 1/4 turn or so that i can't do by hand?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If you just need a 1/4 turn to get it pointing down, try using a Jorgensen clamp to get extra leverage with no risk or marring the finish.

_71THQK5MCDL_1328281834.gif

A google image search for "square shower arm escutcheon" should turn up a lot of hits.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks