Submersible pump in shallow well?

Users who are viewing this thread

toabb

Reaction score
At the caibn, I have a shallow well, what's called a "dug well" that is basically 15' deep and 3' in diameter. I have been using a jetpump but after 3 failures over the last few years.. I am getting tired of using those.

Wondering about installing a submersible. I happen to have a 3 wire Franklin with a 1/2hp Grundfos pump as a spare for our home. It's a 1/2hp and rated to 175' of depth. I would like to use this if possible. My biggest concern is how to secure the pump in a well with such a large diameter and the torque arrestor. Plus is this too much pump for such a shallow well ?

Thanks for any input.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It will work better than the jet pump. Span a couple steel pipes or angle iron across the top and hang the pump from there. Don't let it touch the bottom. Don't use torque arrestors.

toabb

Reaction score
So you don't think twisting will be an issue? I will probably suspend it with a steel cable with the pipes like you mentioned.. I also have about 6' of slotted stainless steel screen though I am not sure that would help me much.. as I'd have to anchor that somehow too.

Now comes the fun part of trenching the wires out..

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can use a cable it you want but, suspend it from the pipe. It will hang better than way. "Twisting" is a shallow well should not be a problem. "Twisting" is caused by the pump cycling on and off to much. Of course I always use a Cycle Stop Valve, then I don't have a "twisting" problem, even with deep wells.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks