Submersible pump failure in cistern

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think this is why Franklin went with the new tri-seal so little amount of backpressure is being applied to the thrust bearing. I am interested in seeing how they hold up in the field.

It doesn't matter how much backpressure is on the thrust bearing as long as it has the proper cooling flow going past it. A little bit of backpressure will destroy a thrust bearing as quickly as a lot of backpressure if there isn't enough flow past the motor to keep it cool. This is why a motor shroud is important.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
Proper Cooling for the windings, not the thrust bearing or I would see Franklin stating the thrust bearing. Besides, do see evidence on the outside of that motor that shows it wasn't getting the proper cooling?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Proper Cooling for the windings, not the thrust bearing or I would see Franklin stating the thrust bearing. Besides, do see evidence on the outside of that motor that shows it wasn't getting the proper cooling?

Franklin doesn't state winding or thrust bearing, but it is both. It is just as important to keep the thrust bearing cool as it is the winding.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
You are correct, it does say for the motor but I still stand firm that the Stainless Steel Shell, would let me know if there was a cooling problem.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
The motor didn't show me the sign on the outside, what makes you think the motor fluid got hot enough to do damage to the thrust bearing?

This well casing was the Rare 4" in our area

Last edited:

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score

So you are saying this is the reason why I don't see this problem when cycling the pump because the motor fluid has time to cool but if your going to run continuous for long periods of time, you are going to need a flow sleeve for the motor fluid?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You were the one who said the bearing failed. I was just quoting what you said. But when cycling on and off a motor doesn't have time for the heat to be transferred to the housing, so the internal heat cannot dissipate and just builds up a little more with every cycle. The motor doesn't really run long enough for a shroud to be of much use. Cycling is a problem the shroud cannot help.

When the pump/motor is running continuously the heat is dissipated to the case over time and the flow past the motor wicks it away, so flow past the motor is important as when using a shroud.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
You do know Franklin says "flow inducer sleeve is not required in water up to 86F (30C) for motors through 2hp"?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You do know Franklin says "flow inducer sleeve is not required in water up to 86F (30C) for motors through 2hp"?

Yeah and do you know why? It is because they have made those motors so short they say the water still circulate enough, even around the bottom of the motor. But Franklin made the motors shorter AND says you don't need a shroud, BECAUSE they like selling more motors.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
The problem was rock pebbles in every stage of the pump where it was very hard to turn. I started the motor 25 times with no problems. Franklin is correct but we have tested 3hp and 5hp with no problems.

Attachments

• WP_20160622_16_58_33_Rich.jpg
    WP_20160622_16_58_33_Rich.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 224
  • WP_20160623_13_14_35_Rich.jpg
    WP_20160623_13_14_35_Rich.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 214

Reach4

Reaction score
The problem was rock pebbles in every stage of the pump where it was very hard to turn. I started the motor 25 times with no problems. Franklin is correct but we have tested 3hp and 5hp with no problems.
With a shroud extended down a bit, would the pebbles have got sucked in? :rolleyes:

Anyway, you can agree that a shroud has some advantage when your flow is reduced due to back-pressure such as from a CSV. It can help for a top-feeding well to flow water by the motor, and it could serve as a sand/pebble retarder in some cases.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With a shroud extended down a bit, would the pebbles have got sucked in? :rolleyes:

Anyway, you can agree that a shroud has some advantage when your flow is reduced due to back-pressure such as from a CSV. It can help for a top-feeding well to flow water by the motor, and it could serve as a sand/pebble retarder in some cases.

An extended shroud would certainly have helped keep the pebbles out of the pump. A shroud also helps with top feeding wells, low flow conditions, and other things. And anything that helps a pump is a bad situation is even better for pumps that are not in bad situations.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score

That question would need to be answered by Craigpump because we don't use them(can't use them on most of our wells either) and he is the one that said "It will keep sand out of the pump".

Even on CSV's, I have never seen a problem with cooling of the motor. We have talked some about the pump end failures.

Reach4

Reaction score
That question would need to be answered by Craigpump because we don't use them(can't use them on most of our wells either) and he is the one that said "It will keep sand out of the pump".
Just thinking it through, it seems that pebbles would have a hard time climbing up a shroud that extended several inches below the pump. The water velocity would be pretty low at that point. This aspect of a shroud keeping pebbles out would seem to be particularly useful on uncased wells.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
An extended shroud would certainly have helped keep the pebbles out of the pump. A shroud also helps with top feeding wells, low flow conditions, and other things. And anything that helps a pump is a bad situation is even better for pumps that are not in bad situations.

Why was the pump ever in that situation to start with or did something happen to the well?

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
Uh, are we still talking about the pump you posted pictures of that had the rocks in it? If so, how would I know?

Didn't you drill wells? This wasn't are pump set, it was probably from the well driller but it was set 20ft off bottom(really about 15-16' including pitless and pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks