Steam heat in toe kick of kitchen cabinets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Steamheatdilema

Reaction score
Our house has a one pipe steam heat system. We have renovated our kitchen and no longer have wall space for the base board radiator. Our contractor relocated the steam heat base board radiator in the toe kick area of our cabinets. However, the cabinets are getting extremely hot. We believe the heat will eventually damage the cabinets. Another contractor suggested incorporating a small fan to circulate the air to prevent the cabinets from getting hot. Then he will box out the base board radiator with trim which will include louvres to allow the hot air to escape. Has anyone ever done this? Do you think this will work? If you have any other ideas to heat the kitchen with steam heat, we welcome suggestions.

b5829dbf035346b8_1982-w500-h375-b0-p0--.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toester heaters are installed in toe kicks all the time. I would definitely prefer that over that exposed slant fin radiator.

Heat only is radiated from both those style radiators when the pump is flowing hot water through the pipe. Once the water stops flowing, the heat quickly dissipates and stops heating.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
Agreed. We are going to do a kitchen remodel and have to remove the baseboard unit to place cabinets on that wall. They make toekick units that connect to the boiler supply with a fan that comes on when it gets warm and all you see is a small vent in the toekick similar to at forced air vent. I'm actually shocked that your contractor put a fin unit in that location. It obviously is going to heat up the cabinets more than the room because the heat is meant to circulate from under the fins over the top and out into the room.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks