Steam Boiler Piping Dissimilar Metals

Users who are viewing this thread

Billy DeVincentis

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum,
so glad I could find a place to get some advice.
Last summer I had seen water spots in the concrete above the wet returns for our steam boiler system. I had replaced the return lines around 20 years ago but I thought I would have gotten longer than that. In any event I cut out the floor and replaced all wet return piping from the headers all the way down to the boiler itself and also redid the hartford loop. One difference this time, I spent about $3000 and did it completely in Stainless Steel 316. Job came out very nice, I finished the piping just a couple of days ago, I am going to seal the underground pipes with a special asphalt sealer which I bought from Eaton chemical (9183). It is especially meant to protect buried piping. I assume that I will never again do return pipes on this house (hope not, Im 53, I can't picture myself doing this in my 70s LOL). One spot that I was a bit stumped on was the conversion points from cast iron to stainless steel. On the return lines by the headers, I used brass gate valves with cast iron going down from the header and stainless steel coming out on the other side of the valve. At the boiler, I replaced the 1-1/2" x 5" nipple at the front bottom of the boiler with a brass nipple and then continued on with Stainless Steel into the hartford loop. Above the hartford loop going to the main header I again used a brass nipple to go from stainless steel to cast iron. Was this necessary? Will I eventually get galvanic corrosion on the brass nipples? Was there a better way to do this?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks