Stacked Sani Seal

Users who are viewing this thread

Atomic1

Reaction score
I have the following:
Moss bay replacement flange
3" PVC pipe
Top of the flange is 5/8" below surface of surrounding ceramic tile

I am looking at stacking two sani seals with a thin layer of wax or silicone between them as detailed by one of the sani-seal's videos.

That said, anyone have experience with stacking these who can comment? I feel like this would probably hold up better to aggressive plunging than a double wax ring.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Try it and let us know how it works. Take a few pictures of what you do. I'd put the silicon under and on top too to make sure everything is sealed.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
The Sani Seal is very thick. I'd try a dry fit with one. When you set the bowl on the seal, if you have to apply downward pressure on the bowl to make contact with the floor, you'll be good with one.

Reaction score
5/8" is not very deep and a typical height after tiling on plywood.

I think you can get away with just one Sani-Seal, one alone is very fluffy. I'm not sure if two of them sandwiched tight like being that way.

I've used a Danco Hydrocap on top of a Sani-Seal. It'll squeeze down the one Sani-Seal by a good 1/4" which may be enough. And the Hydrocap's rubber prevents poo and pee grey water from actually touching the Sani-Seal, so the Sani-Seal's only job is to seal your deep flange. All this can be done dry fitted to test.

Danco_Hydrocap.jpg
Sani-Seal-300.jpg

Atomic1

Reaction score
Thanks, that combo with the hydrocap sounds like a good idea. Sani does say that the max offset it can accomodate is 3/8"

If I dont go with that combo, I think I'm going with the fernco waxless system instead. After researching more, I'm finding way too many people complaining about a small tear in the sani seal causing the foam to go to mush.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think I'm going with the fernco waxless system instead.
Totally new toilet? Some have complained the adhesive does not stick well enough to a toilet that has previously used wax.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't know what brand of toilet you have, but if it's a Toto, you don't have to worry about "aggressive plunging"...or even unagressive plunging. Most of us Toto users don't even own a plunger.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Don't know what brand of toilet you have, but if it's a Toto, you don't have to worry about "aggressive plunging"...or even unagressive plunging. Most of us Toto users don't even own a plunger.
Naturally. Regardless of what kind of toilet issue someone has, a new Toto toilet will make it right EVERY time. Seriously, Gary. Are you on here as a Toto sales rep?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not a rep, just a very satisfied user. In the years that I have been around this forum, I think I could count the times anyone posted about a
Toto being clogged.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well Mr. Plumbs Away, I'm sure you'd like to nit pick some more, but my final comment is to your last post. In the original question, there was a mention of how the stacked seals would hold up to aggressive plunging. My comment have related to the need for plunging which appear to be virtually non existent in Toto toilets.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Another waxless system you might consider is the Fluidmaster one. If the pipe's interior is clean, it should seal fine and has a fairly long throat that should easily handle that depth.

Keep in mind, toilet flanges are designed to be fastened on TOP of the finished floor. Yes, lots of them are not, but that is the most reliable way.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Well Mr. Plumbs Away, I'm sure you'd like to nit pick some more, but my final comment is to your last post. In the original question, there was a mention of how the stacked seals would hold up to aggressive plunging. My comment have related to the need for plunging which appear to be virtually non existent in Toto toilets.
You're constantly going off-topic to tout your preference for Toto, regardless of a poster's question. If I, for example, were to post a question as to which is the preferred brand of universal replacement flapper or fill valve, I would not be asking for a new toilet recommendation. Stay on point, dude.

Atomic1

Reaction score
I ended up using a Danco Perfect Seal and it seemed to work well. Was too afraid of so much foam with sani seal.

And yea, the Toto comments are just plain odd and unsubstantiated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks