Square D well pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Kendallroad

Reaction score
I was checking my well pump pressure switch to determine if it could also control a booster pump.
I found out that the switch was cross wired wrong,that is when the pump is off the motor terminals have 230 volts and lines 1 and 2have zero volts.

Since the well has operated that way for 10 years I beleive that the pump starter control input was also crossed to undo the mistake.

Is it ok to leave it as is? Does this affect the contact points?

Thank you in advance for any info.

Kendallroad

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
The pump switch has DPST contacts, so one side is as good as another, so far as the electricity goes.

Kendallroad

Reaction score
My thanks to Wet Boots.
I will leave well enough alone since it is working.

If I hook up a booster pump to the same pressure control I believe I should follow the same convention. The total ( combined) load will be 1 hp and the switch has a capacity of 2 hp at 230volts.

Kendallroad

frenchelectrican

Electrician
Reaction score
It can be done this way but really IMO if you want to do this in right way you have to make a junction box after the pressure switch.

before you do this make sure the power is off first before you do this because the pressure switch can kick on without warning and get ya a nasty cussing for a while.

run a short piece of wire it have the same size as incomming power wire is 14- 14 or 12- 12 gauge size.

that point if your well have just a standard run of mill 2 wire control just hook up the junction box [ best to use 4X4X2 1/8 ] and have one wire from pressure switch to the junction box and get the wire from the well pump get that in the box and also the booster pump and splice the wires excat same colour black to black red to red if have it and white to white [ this have to be remarked for 240 volt useage ] and MAKE SURE the ground wire is well tied well after that put on the blank cover on it and mark it on cover to tell what the wires go for say like this " well pump " and "Booster pump"

this way it will make it easier to do this

do not try to make a extra splice in the pressure switch there is no room for third cable in there at all

Merci , Marc

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wires

splice the wires excat same colour black to black red to red if have it and white to white

Why? All the electricity I have ever worked on has been color blind and does not know which wire it is using. A properly wired switch would not break the neutral so if the switch has two wires it is probably 220/240 volts.

Kendallroad

Reaction score
Square "D" well pressure switch

My thanks to Frenchelectrican and HJ for the detailed instructions and safety guide lines.

Regards,
Peter

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks