Something Not Right Here

Users who are viewing this thread

Hatteras Glass

Reaction score
About 3 months ago, I had a new 4" PVC well and submersible pump installed at my house (for potable water purposes) after the old one collapsed. I also bought an ionization water treatment system to handle the high iron and hydrogen sulfide levels found in the groundwater of my coastal area. I am told by the well driller that it is about an 80' well in total. No well driller I contacted would give me a written quote. I was out of town on business when the work was done. My wife paid them upon "completion."

The ionzation system works great and needs no salt to treat and soften the water. I'm quite happy with it.

My problems are:

1. I just failed my 6th chlorination test (the County Health Dept. has to test all new wells for fecal and total coliform bacteria). In all cases, it has passed the fecal coliform but has failed the total coliform for both the house and the well. To the well driller's credit, they have worked hard to re-treat the house and well and have kept trying - to no avail. In each case though, they never come when the inspector is scheduled to arrive to make sure that the test is taken correctly and that to maybe help it along by heating the point of sampling with a torch, etc.

They are now only interested in making sure that the well passes as the house is "my responsibility." The tests are $70 a pop and I paid for the first two. He has paid for the last 4. The first used bleach and have since moved on to hydrogen peroxide as the cleaninig agent.

We did apparently discover that my bladder tank was shot (it was about 5 years old) but I replaced it and failed the test yet again.

2. When the pump clicks on and off, I can hear it like it is right outside my bedroom window (which it isnt - its about 40' from the house and probably 70 feet underground). I can feel the vibrations in my deck furniture.

3. I am getting sand (not alot but noticeable) at alot of my fixtures. It goes away after I flush the house but I always find it a little bit in my dishwasher.

So, my questions are to the numbers above:

1. What could be causing this to happen? Who is responsible for making sure the well passes? What about the house? What can I do?

2. Why is this happening?

3. Is this normal? Is there a construction defect? It seems to me that a sand filter would be partially useless as the sand is still going through the pump before it hits the house. I have only had to clean the aerators once since the well was installed. Sand isnt good for much of anything and cant be good for the system as a whole.

Right now, I feel like I just bought a $5,000 irrigation well that I didnt need. I cannot sell the house until this is cleared up. The company is reputable and does alot of work with my wife's engineering company.

What obligation does a well driller have to provide potable water? I mean - could they show up, drill a well, be paid, and walk away even though they water is non-potable, it pulls alot of sand, it makes a heck of alot of noise, and because after all - "they drilled a well." At this point, I'm just glad they are taking my phone calls.

As you can probably tell, I'm starting to panic a little. Talk me away from the ledge. :eek:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You failed the last 6 Coliform bacteria tests, after shocking the well with bleach/chlorine.

I don't understand the "house and the well"; you mean they take two samples?

It doesn't matter that the driller doesn't come when the inspector is there, the water is contaminated or not. And flaming the faucet shouldn't have anything to do with it, you want to know if anything is contaminated, right? But can't you or your wife flame it if you want it flamed?

No a driller can not guarantee no bacteria. Or anything else in the long list of hundreds of things that make water non potable. Bleach is better than hydrogen peroxide.

I have no idea why you can hear the pump run, what does the driller say about it?

Sand is not a "contaminate", it says something is not right with the well construction though.

After the driller gets an absent Coliform test result, you, being your own water company, you are responsible for the water quality.

Last edited:

Hatteras Glass

Reaction score
Gary - Thanks for the reply. It really helps to have someone in the business advise on how to handle these things.

In answer to your questions:

1. Yes - they take a smaple at the well and another at the kitchen faucet. I am told that often times, the bacteria hides in dead ends in the plumbing or at the hose bibbs. If the driller cannot guarantee potable water then what in your opinion should I do about this situation?

2. I wouldnt trust my wife with a box wrench, let alone a torch. I travel ALOT for work and can rarely be present at any time during these fiascos.

3. The driller says that the noise is the result of a vibration caused by contact of the submersible pump with the well casing or the pump being too low or high in the well. He said he would lower/raise it - I think he did nothing as it is as bad as it ever was.

4. Regarding the sand - what would be the best way to approach this with the driller? Demand it be fixed? In other words, how big of fuss should I raise and what is the most effective way of doing it?

So bottom line, the driller is responsible for passing the coliform test and drilling a well that does not distribute small amounts of sand throughout the plumbing system but I am responsible for treating said water to a higher level of quality than is found in its natural state? I'm fine with that.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You may end up with water treatment equipment (I would want it regardless because you have no guarantee of the well ever being bacteria free) and in court if he won't get rid of the noise and sand.

The type of treatment depends on what and how much of it is in the water. So you need current tests for hardness, iron and if you can, manganese and if they are under the max allowed, you could use a UV light. If not, you need to reduce the amount of whatever first or use chlorine etc..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks