Soil Stack Offset?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYingInMyHouse

Reaction score
I'm building a 1 and 1/2 story home under 2006 IRC, and trying to lay out the upstairs soil and vent connections. The 3" connection from upstairs WC to the main horizontal building looks like an opportunity to vent the system. In my drawing, the upstairs WC drains horizontally about 5 1/2' before dropping through a 1st floor wall to the soil drain in the crawlspace.

1. Can I wye (or tee) a vertical vent between the WC and the wall? That would provide heighth to join in venting for upstairs fixtures, plus a convenient spot to pick up venting from the first floor.
2. If I use a wye with its inlet turned vertical in that upstairs drain/vent connection, may I also tee in the lav waste drain? Alternatively, I could squeeze a wye combo horizontally into the WC drain, but that means drilling through a floor joist.
3. What do you call this line? Would it be an offset in the soil stack?

Attachments

• IMG_20150126_120651.jpg
    IMG_20150126_120651.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 408

DIYingInMyHouse

Reaction score
I'm building a 1 and 1/2 story home under 2006 IRC, and trying to lay out the upstairs soil and vent connections. The 3" connection from upstairs WC to the main horizontal building looks like an opportunity to vent the system. In my drawing, the upstairs WC drains horizontally about 5 1/2' before dropping through a 1st floor wall to the soil drain in the crawlspace.

1. Can I wye (or tee) a vertical vent between the WC and the wall? That would provide heighth to join in venting for upstairs fixtures, plus a convenient spot to pick up venting from the first floor.
2. If I use a wye with its inlet turned vertical in that upstairs drain/vent connection, may I also tee in the lav waste drain? Alternatively, I could squeeze a wye combo horizontally into the WC drain, but that means drilling through a floor joist.
3. What do you call this line? Would it be an offset in the soil stack?
So maybe a photo is worth a couple more words...I mocked up some of the piping: one photo is from below, showing the WC drain into its 3" line heading through a wye and then to a wall. From upstairs the 2" pipe picks up a drain from the lab on the right, then becomes venting with an inverted cross tee gathering vents from elsewhere before exiting through the roof. The level indicates a knee wall that will be framed behind the toilet. Will this meet IRC 2006 code?

Attachments

• WP_20150126_22_35_36_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150126_22_35_36_Pro.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 345
  • WP_20150126_22_48_54_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150126_22_48_54_Pro.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 385
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks