Softener resin tank does fill up

Users who are viewing this thread

jreed

Reaction score
i have a culligan medalist softener. I noticed the other day that I could hear the water running into it. When I checked it was only about half full of water. After I got home from work today I looked again and it was the same....no water had been used for About 8 hours. Is this normal or should the water be to the top of the tank? If I remember correctly, when I changed the resin several months ago the water was almost to the top.

Bannerman

Reaction score
During regular service flow, water enters at the top of the tank, flows through the resin and exiting through the bottom screen, up the center riser tube. During the backwash portion of the regeneration cycle, water flows in reverse and exits to the drain.

If you place the controller in 'Backwash', is the air in the tank expelled to drain and does water fill the tank and then flow to the drain?

I'm not familiar with your specific valve but I expect there will be an Air Check valve somewhere in the brine pickup circuit. This is often a floating ball which does not float when there is no longer any brine remaining in the brine tank. The ball then sits in a seat thereby sealing off the brine port to prevent air from being drawn into the resin tank during the brine draw/slow rinse portion of the regen cycle.. I suspect your softener's air-check is not fully closing.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks