Softener. Iron has (almost) defeated me...

Users who are viewing this thread

diggity

Reaction score
Good point - I do seem to remember from my water treatment classes way back in the stone age that pathogen disinfection is dependent on both contact time and residual. Probably the same could be said for iron oxidation.

WellOff

Reaction score
I lost track of what filtering you're using, but usually post-contact tank you have a filter that would remove the residual H2O2 or "bleach." For me I had thought about injecting a very small amount of H2O2 post final filter to provide sterilization of the distribution lines: seems that I have to periodically shock my distribution lines, which is kind of a pain (I made it a bit easier by installing a separate cartridge filter fixture w/o filer to add H2O2 directly for this purpose). This is a BIG reason why most of the municipal water treatment folks (who have really long distribution lines!) are struggling to replace chlorine.

A tip for anyone shocking their distribution lines with H2O2: add food coloring so that you can see/know when the H2O2 has reached each spigot- with bleach you can readily tell via smell (with H2O2 it's a bit tougher, you might be able to tell based on increased oxygen levels -bubbles- but I like to make it more of a sure-fire thing).

MichaelSK

Reaction score
If the peroxide, chlorine or other oxidizer doesn't have enough contact time to react with the iron to oxidize it, then you're likely just wasting money no matter how much or how little oxidizer you add.
ferrous oxide (clear water iron) reacts very quickly to ferric oxide (red) which precipitates and can easily be filtered out.

Bannerman

Reaction score
In reply to post # 43 in this thread:
Ktop, I am a nurse....not very familiar with the nomenclature of water treatment.... Reach4 told me that the tank used to ensure the NaClO contact time is sufficient, is best called a CONTACT TANK. - MichaelSK (in another thread):

I standby my original comment as posted when this thread was actually active.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks