softener help

Users who are viewing this thread

jim_bo

Reaction score
Hey guys… interesting forum.* I have to admit, I am a bit of a water softner newbie.* Truth is… I really don’t want to become an expert.* I just want to select the right softner, turn it on and forget it (but not forget to add salt).* Here’s my situation:

I have a second home in Las Vegas.* I’m only there for 4 – 8 days per month.* Just me and my wife, but we sometimes have guests.* 3 bathrooms.* No idea what daily water usage might be.* Water hardness is 16 – 17 gpg.* Based on reading some of the posts here, I looked at this softner:*http://www.discountwatersofteners.com/fleck-7000-sxt-on-demand-48-000-grain-water-softener.html

I plan on installing myself.* My house is new and has a loop preinstalled, so I don’t anticipate too much difficulty.* So, is this the right softener?

Next question… will this softener regenerate based on a time schedule, or usage schedule?* I see discussions about regenerations taking place every two weeks or so, but I may not even be there for two weeks at a time.

Next question… I’d really like to avoid sweating copper pipes.* So, is the install kit a reasonable way to go?**http://www.discountwatersofteners.com/quick-pro-connector-kit-for-fleck-controls.html

Next question… on my pre-installed loop, I have a ½†Pex line for a drain.* However, it does not go to a floor drain.* It goes up to the second floor and drains into the washer machine drain.* Do I need a check valve to prevent gravity from backflowing water from the drainline?

Next question… sodium or potassium?*

Last question… if I am going to do a softener, I think I’d like to do an RO filter for drinking water and ice making.* However, I probably know less about RO than I do softeners.* The website I was looking at for the softener has two RO systems that seem like they would work… but I don’t understand why there is a hundred dollar difference between the two.* Comments??

http://www.discountwatersofteners.c...osmosis-system-4-stage-50-gallon-per-day.html
http://www.discountwatersofteners.com/reverse-osmosis-system-5-stage-50-gallon-per-day.html

Noyzee1

Reaction score
Hey, what's with all the asterisks?
I'm looking for footnotes and such to no avail!
I'm NOT a pro, but can offer some suggestions:
1) I think that a 1 cu. ft. min. softener would be fine for you. There are many systems that can do this. This one looks fine. Good Fleck valve.
2) Most newer softeners use a demand-type of valve. The time-based systems are out there but not as desirable. My system is demand-based and doesn't regenerate for almost a month (it's only me here). As far as I know, this isn't a problem. Others will chime in if I'm wrong.
3) If you have threaded fittings, then copper or stainless flexible hoses should be fine. Mine is hooked up with copper flex to copper threaded fittings and all is well.
4) Check the specs of the softener to see if the drain can be elevated to that level. There IS a restriction as to how high the system can elevate water to the drain- be careful here!
5) Potassium sucks and is waaay too expensive. I say avoid it. I would use it if the price would come down. Anyone care to convince me otherwise?
6) I'd buy the cheaper system because I'm a cheapskate!:(
Cheers,
JIM

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
3 bathrooms, I would reommend at least a 1.5 Cu. Ft., and being in Vegas, they tend to keep the Chlorine at the higher levels. Go with 10% crosslink resin upgrade.

Drain going up, it is a calculation based on pressures, but in general, up a single floor is no problem as long as you have at least 60 psi.

Potassium... no good reason to use it, if your softener is outside, during the summer in Vegas you will use twice as much, and it costs 5X as much, so you do the math. Drink bottled water, or get an RO system.

As to the 2 different RO systems, both will work, the problem with the cheaper generics is that many companies will do whatever it takes to make theirs the cheapest. Needless to say, the quality will suffer, and who are you going to go after when your house floods out a year from now due to a junk RO system failing? I would stay with a non generic RO from a reputable company. The Microline is that. The filters are more expensive, but since you are only changing them annually, it is not that big of a deal.

Since you are doing the install yourself, be sure to install proper air gaps on the RO and softener, and do the installation to code please.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks