Smart Wi-Fi wireless controller/timer for dedicated hot water circulator pump

Users who are viewing this thread

RedRancher

Reaction score
I have a standby hot water tank fed via a gas furnace. I have a 1/2hp circulator pump for a bathroom with a dedicated hot water return line. The circulator pump is controlled by a simple aquastat this is in-line with a dedicated return line. Nothing smart about it and the pump constantly turns on and off all day and night regardless of time. My goal is to bypass the aquastat and use a smart device to control the circ pump instead. I found this device on amazon and wondered what you all though?

DEWENWILS Pool Pump Timer, Outdoor Smart Wi-Fi Box, Heavy Duty 40A 120-277 VAC 2HP Wireless Controller Timer for Pool, Water Heater, Compatible with Smart Phone, Alexa, Google Assistant, UL Listed

My idea is I can set a scheduled on and off time everyday for when we shower before work/school. Seeing how this unit is wifi I should be able to use Alexa to remotely turn it on before an "off-scheduled" shower, for example on the weekends.

Any thoughts and or suggestions on this approach would be much appreciated. For example, is this a good idea, is the this the wrong device to use, am I going about this correctly?

Also just curious does the pump have to run when the shower is on to keep the water hot?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
consider Taco smart plug https://www.tacocomfort.com/product/smartplug-instant-hot-water-control/
No the pump does not need to run when shower is on.
Alternatively, the cheaply available Kasa smart plug, can be readily programmed using Kasa smartphone app, like with house lights that plug in...i also have my outdoor fountain set with them. Also integrates with Google assistant if you prefer.

RedRancher

Reaction score
consider Taco smart plug https://www.tacocomfort.com/product/smartplug-instant-hot-water-control/
No the pump does not need to run when shower is on.
Alternatively, the cheaply available Kasa smart plug, can be readily programmed using Kasa smartphone app, like with house lights that plug in...i also have my outdoor fountain set with them. Also integrates with Google assistant if you prefer.
Thank you, now that you say it, I like the KASA Smart plug approach better. I actual have one that I use for out door Christmas lights in the winter. I can program any number of schedules and it integrates with Alexa and can do voice activation. I'm going to take it one step more and get an Alexa compatible plug in motion sensor so when ever someone enters the bathroom the circ pump will automatically turn on. Now I have to check the rating on KASA to see if it can safely power my 1/2hp taco circ pump.

This should be fun. Thanks again.

RedRancher

Reaction score
Most of the smart plugs can't handle a induction load 15 amp resistance.
Looking at my circ pump it is a taco 006-B4 1/40hp 0.52amp 115V. KASA plug says not to exceed 1875W at 120V which is about 15A. Going to put a amp clamp on my circ to see what the start and run load is.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Looking at my circ pump it is a taco 006-B4 1/40hp 0.52amp 115V. KASA plug says not to exceed 1875W at 120V which is about 15A. Going to put a amp clamp on my circ to see what the start and run load is.
Where did the 1/2 hp come from? Main boiler pump verses hw tank.

RedRancher

Reaction score
Where did the 1/2 hp come from? Main boiler pump verses hw tank.
1/2 hp was a mistake I took a bunch of pictures with my phone of the various parts both on my furnace and on my standby hot water tank. 1) the 1/2hp circ that circulates water to/from the hot water tank and 2) the 1/40hp circ that circulates hot water to the far bathroom. When I opened my phone and took a look at all the pictures I read the 1/2hp instead of the 1/40hp motor by mistake when I posted the original post above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks