Small bathroom remodel..

Users who are viewing this thread

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Starting demo on daughters bathroom this weekend. It'll have a tub/shower. For a tub, Americast set on mortar, or Vikrell(Cast iron too heavy to do by myself)? I've read pros/cons for both. Need durable, and easy to clean.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Also FWIW, starting with typical 5'x9' space. Window on back wall provides easy opportunity for a big niche below. The existing bottom shower door track had 2 screws into the tub top ledge. They were in the inside track, right in the middle. Should be good stuff under there. :confused:

IMG_20140829_203116821_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The key to any tub reno is in the shower curtain rod and preparation for that rod.

You need to be able to "Go Mimi With It" - this women caused a national shortage of shower curtain rods...... Hilarious!

LOL

When you find out what I'm talking about you might want to research high strength shower curtain rods for safer shower sex! lol

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
The key to any tub reno is in the shower curtain rod and preparation for that rod.

You need to be able to "Go Mimi With It" - this women caused a national shortage of shower curtain rods...... Hilarious!

LOL

When you find out what I'm talking about you might want to research high strength shower curtain rods for safer shower sex! lol

Actually, we're going with a curtain, not door, so things can be hung up there.

I know not Mimi, but you paint a good enough picture. Probably looks better in my mind anyway.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I see 3 niches -- same size as the window -- added bellow the window , well spaced and all lighten -- LED -- . :)

I'm going with a taller niche at center elevation for bigger stuff, and a lower one exactly the same size as window for little stuff. I'll make it as symmetrical as I can, and this time I'm not framing them until I have tile in hand. I don't want to burn myself with layout again. LEDs are a given. :)

Wet wall will be the valves I had originally purchased for the master shower. Thermo w/3 way diverter for tub filler, (2) BSJs, and shower head.

I'll keep better track of costs on this one for the other thread, too. Last shower I just kept throwing money at it til it was done. OUCH!! You guys were a bad influence. LOL

Last edited:

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I think your best is yet to come Vegas ........ keep coming back and you will definitely get more bad influences from us LOL

Can't wait to see what you will design for the project .......

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I ended up going with the cheap ass acrylic whirlpool tub. I have my drain roughed, supplies roughed, ledger leveled around the perimeter. Time to mix mortar to bed the tub, and see what I can break. :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_20141025_155121919.jpg
    IMG_20141025_155121919.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 630

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I hope I got enough. Barely got it to fit in the room. Played around with it, and then all of a sudden, it went in. At least it wasn't too heavy. :confused: Raised the front, packed it in from the side, then dropped it down, while my daughter got the drain tailpiece lined up. Its in, and level. o_O
IMG_20141025_173354063.jpg
IMG_20141025_175631029.jpg

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Thanks fellas!:)

This morning I did the overflow(tub holds 70gals), and jet tests. No leaks. The pump moves plenty of water.

I pulled off the paper from the insulation on the exterior wall. Rigid foam is behind the niches. Before setting the tub, I used a plane on the wall studs to get them flat. I shimmed out the back wall, and sistered out the right side wall this morning(alcove was 1/1/4" wider than tub), so my board will drop in front of the tub flange. I ran out of lumber for blocking, and will finish that before boarding next weekend. I ran out of PEX to finish the last bit of rough plumbing. :mad:

IMG_20141026_085758479_HDR.jpg
IMG_20141026_090226751_HDR.jpg
IMG_20141026_114017147.jpg
IMG_20141026_123100958.jpg
I hope John doesn't call it a shit show. :eek:

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Here's the tile. 12x24 that will be set vertical in the shower, and turn horizontal to the bathroom walls. I bought the tile a couple months ago, and tried to frame/plan around it. Linear glass/metal tile, set vertical, will go in the niche backs.

IMG_20140831_155452295.jpg

Trim is all brushed nickel finish.

IMG_20141026_130508520.jpg

Of course, I'll try to put in some other little details too. :cool:

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'll be very happy that you're taking the time to get things nice and flat and plumb. It makes tiling at the end SO much easier, and is particularly important when using larger format tiles. If more people did this, they'd have fewer complaints and setting the tile would go much faster with often, a better end result.

Pay careful attention to the scheduled maintenance on the tub - otherwise, it tends to grow some pretty nasty stuff in the pipes to/from the pump.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
I couldn't find any shower curtain rods I liked so I made my own out of anodized aluminum tubing (often used for railing on boats). I measured the exact width with measuring sticks and added internal plastic end caps for a bit extra. Wedges in nicely and never had it fall but don't hang anything on it. The back one holding the PVC panels has fishing line to help support it. If I was sure I wanted to stay with a rod I would drill a hole in the tile to support the rod. If I was building a new shower I would consider caulking in the drilled tiles that hold the rod which would allow me to change to undrilled tiles if I didn't want a shower curtain rod.

koa-07.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks