Small 15gallon point of use water heater Seismic question

Users who are viewing this thread

Brother

Reaction score
I am not a pro plumber. So forgive my question if it is too simple. Do small point of use 15 gallon water heaters still require the seismic eartquake straps like the bigger water hears?? Also, if it is up in a ceiling (office bathroom) is there a leak alarm required?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is this electric? Or doesn't really matter as the code doesn't specify, but a gas water heater is more dangerous if left un-strapped in earthquake country. There's no requirement for any alarm only access and a pan required. It doesn't matter the size they need strapped if you are on the area that requires straps.

There could be some local requirements that would be specific to your area so you might check with the local inspector.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont think any waterheater is exempt maybe a 2 gallon wall hung unit . but a typical 6 gallon round needs strapped perhaps one strap but I think 2 straps. Ive never heard of alarm required Tand p rules and drip pans do apply

Brother

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. This is an electric 15 gallon water heater. Its just the location in the ceiling kinda makes it hard to get at and it appears even more difficult for straps.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
UPC 507.2 "Seismic Provisions" does not have any limitations based on tank size. But it says that water heaters must be "anchored or strapped to resist horizontal displacement due to earthquake motion," and then goes on to tell you how to strap it. If you can come up with an acceptable way to anchor it to resist horizontal displacement, then you don't have to strap it.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I asume we are talking about Washington State. We in Ca have a few things that may vary the way that we acieve proper strapping is some paper work from the state Architect I think youll need a strap upper 3rd and lower 3rd of tank 2 total If the tank is sitting in the middle of the house it may be an issue where to strap to.
I didnt refresh my memory but pretty sure our code does not allow dumping t and p into the water heater drain or combining those upstream of an indirect receptor

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks