Sink drain vent height

Users who are viewing this thread

mofish

Reaction score
I am plumbing a sink, garbage disposal, and dishwasher in a counter top height wall (36"). The sink is the less than 4' from a section of full height wall that I can use to run my vent pipe up through the roof.

My question is: Is it UPC compliant, even though part of the vent pipe run is below the overflow level of the sink?

In my drawing the dashed lines are the plumbing that will be in the wall.

Also, What diameter pipe should I use?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• Kitchen Sink.jpg
    Kitchen Sink.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 25,965

mofish

Reaction score
sink_dw.jpg

With a window over the sink, the inspectors here let you run below the flood height if you use waste fittings. Not vent fittings.

Terry, just to clarify, this is an interior wall. There is no window, but the wall changes from a half wall (counter-top height) to a full height wall just to the right of the dishwasher. So in your drawing the nearly horizontal portion of the vent would be below the counter height until after the dishwasher. It sounds like using waste fittings is the same solution though.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My drawing shows the vent at 6" above flood level of the sink.
Inspectors have been allowing below that on a sink if the wall was too low to go above; with waste fittings.

If there is a way to arm over to the sink from the side and keep the vent vertical, that would work also. Vents run at 45 degrees are considered vertical too.

In Washington, they also allow use of an AAV for that location.

seaton_sink_1.jpg

And AAV for a kitchen sink.

island_vent.gif

Or in some cases I have done this

mofish

Reaction score
If there is a way to arm over to the sink from the side and keep the vent vertical, that would work also.
Vents run at 45 degrees are considered vertical too.

I am trying to avoid both the AAV and the Island Foot Vent. I'm not sure what you mean by "arming over". Does the drawing below show what you mean? If so where should the clean outs go? There will be a base cabinet on the wall to the right of the dishwasher so I would rather not have a clean out there.
Kitchen Sink2.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What you have drawn in there is fine. Pipe the arm and waste stack in 2" with a 1.5 vent. The cleanout can be made with a wye in the sink base cabinet or a standard cleanout on the stack.

mofish

Reaction score
I am going to go with my first drawing. I will use waste fittings as Terry suggested and put a clean out below the trap. hj, I will angle the vent up as much as possible in the space I have between the drain and the full wall section. Probably at 22.5 degrees. I will probably just use 2" for every thing. I found the excerpt below from the UPC. Thank you all for your help.

{UPC 905.3}
Vents should be 6” above flood-level rim of fixture before offsetting horizontally, or need to use drainage fittings and grade to drain. Vents shall rise to 6” above flood-level rim of fixture served before being connected to any other vent.
Kitchen Sink.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks