Shutting off water to prevent frozen pipes: what do I do with my tankless (Navien NPE-240a2)

Users who are viewing this thread

capybara

Reaction score
I live in a cold/snowy area, and we have typically shut off our house water supply if we leave for a few days in the winter. Otherwise you risk: blizzard -> power outage -> frozen pipes.

What should I do with my new Navien NPE-240A2? (1) unplug it, (2) unplug it, shut the water to the unit, and drain the water from the unit, (3) power it off from the main screen. My plumber told me to just unplug it, but Navien says to do #2 (and shut off the gas to the unit as well).

bingow

Reaction score
"New" = on warranty? Best follow the manual, which is standard procedure anyway for water-using appliances subject to freezing.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
(2) for sure...Draining water from Navien tankless is a bit of a messy job to do it fully, so hopefully you have the wherewithal to do a thorough job.
Fully draining includes (but not limited to), removing the cold and hot filters (just below the case), removing the small plug under the pump (also just below the case).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks