Shower valve install help

Users who are viewing this thread

neotim

Reaction score
IMG_3153.JPG IMG_3154.JPG

I have a Randolph Morris shower from Vintage Tub that I need to install on a wall above my bathtub. I need to know the correct way to install the valve. It'll be installed thru subway tile and 1/2" Hardiebacker. Here's a link to the product page, but there is not instructions on how to specifically install this:

http://www.vintagetub.com/randolph-morris-exposed-shower-set-rmn678-s.html

I'll be connecting to 1/2" pex.
Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not to throw a wet towel into the fray, but if you really want to pass code, you will need some other, external device to meet the anti-scald requirements since that valve does not appear to include them inside - needed for showers, not necessarily for the tub. Something like this:

scaldtempera3.gif

would need to be added behind the wall to make it compliant most places. That's a pressure balance valve. It prevents the water from spiking to hot if you say flushed a toilet or something.

It sort of looks like the valve clamps to the wall using that nipple and the wave washer and nut, but I'd have to play with it to tell for sure.

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
The two nipples and locknuts are used if attaching to a clawfoot tub. You dont need those.

Rough in two drop ear 90s behind the wall. Make sure the center between drop ears is the same as the center between the inlets on the valve. Make sure the drop ears are the same depth in the wall. When tile is done take a measurement to determine what size nipples you will need to attach the faucet to the wall.

And jadnashua is right about the thermostatic mixing valve. Especially if children or elderly will be using the tub.

neotim

Reaction score
The two nipples and locknuts are used if attaching to a clawfoot tub. You dont need those.

Rough in two drop ear 90s behind the wall. Make sure the center between drop ears is the same as the center between the inlets on the valve. Make sure the drop ears are the same depth in the wall. When tile is done take a measurement to determine what size nipples you will need to attach the faucet to the wall.

And jadnashua is right about the thermostatic mixing valve. Especially if children or elderly will be using the tub.

Can I use a chrome over brass nipple for this application?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks