shower valve -- do i want screwdriver stops?

Users who are viewing this thread

RemodelBob

Reaction score
what are they? I can't seem to find a definition anywhere.

I am looking at potentially using one of these for my shower.

K-304-K Less Screwdriver Stops
K-304-KS With Screwdriver Stops

Also, do I just cap off the bottom since it is a shower only?

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The integral stops allow you to shut off the water to the valve for service without turning the water to the house off. You turn them on/off with a screwdriver which means they can be more compact since they don't need a handle. This is especially handy if you then decide you need to go out for parts to fix it. Watts makes some designed for thsi that can be added to any valve during installation..getting them installed from the manufacturer means one less thing to do if you do want this feature.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stops

They are a convenient way to service the faucet, IF they are still working when you need them, AND the person servicing the faucet knows they are there. In most cases the valves are calcified so they will not turn the water off. And since most valves can be serviced without removing the large trim plate, the plumber will seldom find them or even want to use them since it is easier and safer to turn off the entire house. That way there is no chance of the integral stops starting to leak after he has used, or tried to use, them.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
But seeing as it is a Kohler K-304 and The escutchen does come off to fix it they will be seen. One thing that happens with kohler is you sometimes have to wait for parts. sometimes several weeks. I would get the stops and hope they work, when the part takes 3 weeks for kohler to ship it rather than have a house with no water. Personally I wouldn't install a kohler valve given the choice.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I am with Redwood.

I wouldn't use Kohler.

Stick with Moen or Delta due to the ease of finding repair parts anywhere, even some grocery stores carry seats, springs, and cartridges.

NickK

Reaction score
With stops vs without stops is a pretty common question. In a single family home it likely doesn't matter which you go with. Basically stops let you shut the water off at that individual shower only. This matters if you ever need to make repairs to the valve. Check out this article What is a shower valve with stops for further info.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks