Shower/tub overflow drain + tar

Users who are viewing this thread

ic0n

Reaction score
Hi forums I am replacing my old tub with a new one and the drain distance is different so I have to change the overflow drain. What is a easy way to remove the black tar around the drain pipe? TIA

overflow.jpg

ic0n

Reaction score
So I used some rubbing alcohol and soak the tar to make it soft. I finally got it all out now my question is what should I fill the hole with after I install my overflow drain?

Attachments

• IMG-1885.jpg
    IMG-1885.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG-1889.jpg
    IMG-1889.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG-1883.jpg
    IMG-1883.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG-1882.jpg
    IMG-1882.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 178
  • brushed-nickel-everbilt-drains-drain-parts-sh-7200-n-01-03-2-64_145.jpg
    756 bytes · Views: 78

ic0n

Reaction score
New overflow pipe did not aligned with bathtub. I had to cut the overflow pipe and install a flex pipe, will this be ok? Should I just fill the hole back with tar or concrete?
IMG-1898.jpg
IMG-1908.jpg

ic0n

Reaction score
Thanks John. I was going to fill it with gravel then top off with thin layer of mortar. Sand it is.

Next question is are my rough in valve and drop ear depth looks ok?

Attachments

• IMG-1931.jpg
    IMG-1931.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG-1930.jpg
    IMG-1930.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG-1927.jpg
    IMG-1927.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 134

ic0n

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4. Yes I am just dry fitting everything first. Next I will be laying a 2" bed of mortar to set the tub. Also is it a good idea to put a piece of plastic bag between the mortar and tub?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4. Yes I am just dry fitting everything first. Next I will be laying a 2" bed of mortar to set the tub. Also is it a good idea to put a piece of plastic bag between the mortar and tub?
I am bothered by the word "bed". Search this forum for mortar piles.
You don't want anything similar to a flat bed.

Mortar dollops, I would picture about twice the diameter of the gap, can go in plastic bags, or yes, you can put plastic under and/or over. You want the mortar to squish, and you want to have space for it to spread out while squishing. Mortar does not need air to harden, and it is better if it does not dry out soon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks