Shower handheld - pipe nipple too long!

Users who are viewing this thread

JimmyE

Reaction score
Installing new handheld in two showers with new tiled walls ... using 3/4 galv nipples ... 1-1/2" nipple is too short ... 2" nipple too long ... what are my options?

Reach4

Reaction score
Do not add galvanized. Use brass, or plastic. Your choices include
  1. Use a 2 inch long nipple, use less tape, and turn more with extra torque.
  2. Use a 1.5 inch long nipple, and add more PTFE tape.
  3. Get a 3/4 NPT die, and adjust a 2-inch nipple to the size you want.
  4. Make your own nipple from copper pipe and threaded adapters.
You are using 3/4 piping, which is over 1 inch OD?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Installing new handheld in two showers with new tiled walls ... using 3/4 galv nipples ... 1-1/2" nipple is too short ... 2" nipple too long ... what are my options?

Why are you using galvanized and not brass?

You may want to use the longer nipple with a bell escutcheon in lieu of the flat type

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Galvanized water piping is just asking for problems down the road. It may or may not take long, but it WILL start to rust...use something that won't!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Galvanized.............that little bit of rust first time you use it in the morning. Everyday from then on, a little bit of rusty water.
Use brass.

JimmyE

Reaction score
Guys:
Thanks for the replies.
Correction: we're using 1/2" galvanized - not 3/4.

The handheld is a fancy Delta - I can't change the type or size of the escutcheon.
I'm not the expert but my plumber has cranked a great deal of torque trying the get the 1-1/2 or the 2" nipples to work.
The 2" nipple gets close but the escutcheon is still about 1/8 to 1/4 from sealing to the tile.
This is why I thought the 2" nipple could be shortened?

Also : could the brass setup of male adapters & pipe take the same amount of torque?

Would the brass or plastic approach be inherently different than the galvanized? Would they tighten up more or less than the galvanized?

Thanks for your help!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I normally carry six of ever size. They are not all cut the same. You might want to shop around and see if you can find some shorter or longer. That being said, I have been able to make the 1/2" increments work. It's not fun though.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
OK here is a CHEATER way to go . Get a brass nipple and tread it using a nipple chuck to make extra long threads

Measure how pipe you really need and cut off the excess with a hacksaw blade

Then add joint compound and Quick wick and thread the "running" nipple into both female fittings

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I have the same problem with a Moen hand-held. The fancy (and expensive) escutcheon doesn't come with any instructions, which should tell you how far back from the finished wall you should mount the drop-ear ell to be able to use standard nipples. I'm thinking of mounting the ell (next time) with screws and springs which would allow some play in the wall-to-ell distance.

Right now I'm leaning toward the back-to-back male adapters method, either copper or CPVC. Got to measure those adapters to see if they're short enough. I know I have different lengths of copper fittings, some look pretty short, others longer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks