Shower Construction Terminology: Pookey - Understanding what it is and how to use it

Users who are viewing this thread

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I can't find a copy of Whips how to make friends, and influence people e book, or I would. Put that 2 bucks towards publishing, John. LOL

I really just kept reading these forums, and looked at a lot of pictures. Next bathroom's gonna be better. I'm stubborn, and ignorant.

I'm going to be relentless in my LED installs. I've already started fabbing elements for shower #2.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Pookey is so versatile. HVAC as well !!! Amazing

I can't find a copy of Whips how to make friends, and influence people e book, or I would. ....

It's at Barnes and Noble.....

Right between Shit Disturber and Stirring the Pot

Vegas I had no idea Pookey was so multi versatile. Now HVAC as well !!! Amazing

Must be this generations Asbestos....

Anthophyllite_asbestos_SEM.jpg

Pookey 10,000,000 times magnification

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
What does Pookey Mean

....Using a slang term is easily understood by the people that frequent that site. ....

And for anyone who does not it's confusing.

Mark asked a question regarding a steam shower build. And CX answered about using Pookey. Mark is a true pro - unlike you or CX. I've helped Mark out on a few jobs. Even sold one of his clients a drain. Taught him how to read the date codes on Mapei's packaging when their own tech support did not know how.

Yes Jim this is a fun forum but it does show me and the regulars here your character. How you take the high road here and let whatever happen on the other forum.

Pookey - A tile term in the shallow end.... So funny

Pookey: Material used to prevent tuning slugs, trim pots, etc. from moving once set, also used to insulate HV connections or to hold (relatively) large mass components to the PCB or to keep weather out of RF connectors. Can also be a verb meaning to apply the pookey. - Source

Pookey: a person who is lame, jake, not cool. - Source

Pookey: a meth pipe. - Source

Pookey: a vagina. - Source

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Noble Company - Online Pookey Sales

Anyone know where I can order the "Pookey" from Noble Company? Can't find any listed at their online store.... Is it available - I can't find a source for it. ;)

"...The curb is another issue, but can probably be overcome with proper cutting, fitting, and use of Noble's pookey around all the edges. Still woulda been far better to have installed it prior to the mud bed, if there was to be a mud bed....." - Source

After so many years building showers you think my suppliers would have showcased this Pookey Stuff by now.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Is Pookey a Shower Product or a Shower Builder? Pookey might be a man!!!

"Pooky makes a good point, its hard to tell what's going on in the picture posted."

Read this today. Now I think there is an outside chance that Pookey is not in fact a product but perhaps a person..... There sure is a lot of chatter about Pookey here.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Using Pookey to : Five Spot Set Tile in the Shower

"Ok, started tilin' tonight. I am using the "5 spot" method so I am not having much pookey smooshing thru the joints.. I did use 1/8" joints so I ended up in the corner with about a 3 1/2" cut and hope that will look OK.

How's it look so far? Goin up the walls tomorrow..Thanks" - Source

So this fellow above posted this years ago. I guess the Pookey is squishing out while five spot setting tile. Now where would he get the idea to five spot tile? Such a bad habit to use. I think it is recommend here quite often www.johnbridge.com

Never five spot set with Pookey People.

After this fellow makes the post John Bridge himself, CX and Shaughnn all chat later. Not one of them tells the poster that five spot setting tile is a poor practice. Maybe it's because he used Pookey and not thin-set? LOL

Pookey.

My favourite quote from this discussion is from CX in reference to the ring that formed around the Schluter drain in the flood test. CX writes this

"Ring around the drain is apparently normal, Ray. I've never flood-tested one, but we've seen that ring in other installations.

Now why would CX flood test a shower? With nearly 72,000 posts how can he have time to flood test a shower? lol

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Looks like you can use Pookey with the new Noble Drain....

69.jpg

LOL

When did people start using 4-1 at 3/4" thickness? Seems reckless to me. 1 1/4" maybe - but 3/4"? I love the fish for the free drain. Why would Eric give the XC a free drain when he is selling the durock system?

I'm surprised XC has never seen it. The drain has been out for ages.....

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
News Flash: USG to change their Shower Pookey

thinset560.jpg

I read today that USG is changing their main shower pookey. Is it going to be better, cheaper, lighter, faster or stronger..... Who knows?

I wonder if there was a problem with the Old Pookey?

I wonder if it is greener?

Better for the environment?

When things change - I worry about this.... "What was wrong with the old one?"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks