Self Installation of A/C Ducts?

Users who are viewing this thread

sajesak

Reaction score
Don’t work with HVAC as a rule except when I have to get around it. But now the wife has convinced me to install central air. 2 story colonial so there’ll be a fair amount of construction just for the vertical runs. Already have oil heat with baseboard so that probably won’t factor into the mix.

I’d like to explore how the ducting is done to see if it’s something I can tackle to save some labor. I’ll leave the actual placement and connection of the ac unit to the pros, but the carpentry and joinery of the ducting seem like it should be within my capability. Just saw a re-run of This Old House from several years ago with Rich Trethewey exhibiting rectangular interlocking (modular?) insulated ducting (not metal) and hand tools to connect the circular branch ducts to the rooms. I mean, this can’t be that difficult…..can it?

Anyone able to point out a good book, or a couple of them, or some other source to act as reference material to learn about this? Thanks.

sajesak

Reaction score
Don’t work with HVAC as a rule except when I have to get around it. But now the wife has convinced me to install central air. 2 story colonial so there’ll be a fair amount of construction just for the vertical runs. Already have oil heat with baseboard so that probably won’t factor into the mix.

I’d like to explore how the ducting is done to see if it’s something I can tackle to save some labor. I’ll leave the actual placement and connection of the ac unit to the pros, but the carpentry and joinery of the ducting seem like it should be within my capability. Just saw a re-run of This Old House from several years ago with Rich Trethewey exhibiting rectangular interlocking (modular?) insulated ducting (not metal) and hand tools to connect the circular branch ducts to the rooms. I mean, this can’t be that difficult…..can it?

Anyone able to point out a good book, or a couple of them https://www.everesthvac.net/, or some other source to act as reference material to learn about this? Thanks.
thanks in advance for any help

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might have a hard time sourcing the material you need. Generally metal duct work sold in big box stores is too thin to use for large duct runs as it flexes and makes noise when pressurized.

Finding specialty products might be ok if you can get them. Most of those manufacturers sell to distributors who sell to stores who sell to contractors.

Your best bet might be to find a local ferguson or other hvac supplier and see if they'll sell to you. Don't be surprised if they don't. Anything that isn't distributed to contractors and is marketed to homeowners I would be weary of.

Fitter30

Reaction score
They sell rectangle duct and some fittings at box stores and sheet metal supply stores. Know what size u need? Ever deal with the sharp edges? Ductalator? Duct can be made from duct board with proper tools. Any trade looks easy but apprenticeship is 5 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks