Seeking advice on thermostatic valve for a fixed showerhead, handheld and tub application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Bobcatm1

Reaction score
I’m seeking advice on picking a thermostatic valve for a fixed showerhead, handheld and tub application.

The newer designs such as American Std Flash RU531 (no thermostatic cartridge), the GroheFlex , Moen M-Core (the new 4-series appears to fit the bill but doesn’t seem to really exist yet), Delta Multichoice (don’t like the combined vol/temp mechanism) do not appear to fit my needs well.

I’m considering the following:
  • DXV D35005523.191
  • Newport Brass 1-744
  • American Standard R523
  • Rohl R1050BD
    • (see pictures below)

The feature I really like that the even older valves didn’t have (e.g A.S. R540) is the integrated diverter that apparently also does volume control for each port.

Not really clear how well the volume control (low to high flow) on the diverters work. I’ve seen similar valves with 2 port diverter/vol control that worked great. The Newport Brass looks good if the diveter/vol control can also go Counter Clockwise so you could go directly to port 3. Also have seen conflicting Info from A.S. that the R523 indeed does volume control.

Another consideration is tub fill performance (I plan to use one of the 3 ports on the diverter to for tub fill).

Right now I’m favoring the A.S. R523 in part because I like the trims better and with allow me to match trims in another bath that used an A.S. R540 (it's been working great for 13 years.)

Comments/ Advice/Other valves?

Thanks!

1672926604628.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Im not familiar with performance on any of those , but you seem to be doing homework many valves dont fill tubs well though. hope another comment has opinion on those valves for you

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
My fav is Hansgrohe. A.S. is a good valve setup.
Looks like DXV is same as Rohl and I am not fond of Rohl but haven't used for showers. I think their kitchen faucets sucked so bad for so many years that it gave me an aversion reaction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks