Users who are viewing this thread

vlh

Reaction score
Replaced the pump with Gould's Centri Pro, .5hp, 4" submersible, the wiring from the pump to the pressure switch, and the pressure switch (when the old pump repeatedly surged to no water, tripped the breaker, and more).
The tank holds steady pressure.
Now, the pump initially turns on, fully charges the system, and then shuts off, remaining stable until water is turned on elsewhere, and the system begins to drain.
BUT, when the pump turns on again as the system drains, it most often fails to fully recharge the system (even when there is no running water elsewhere), fails to shut off, and the pump runs continuously such that the cold metal fitting above the well cap turns from cold to warm.
Initially, the pump maintained pressure 30 to 40 psi below the shutoff point as water ran from a garden hose.
But, last night, the system emptied with no water flowing from the faucets.
I had found that if I unplugged the power, or flipped the breaker off for a full minute or more (but not less), and then restored power, that the system would rapidly recharge and the pump would shut off.
Last night, however, I did so, and the pump didn't turn on after a minute.
But, as I stood there looking at the pump trying to figure it out, a few minutes later, the pump suddenly turned on and fully recharged the system.
To clarify, when we pulled the old pump from the well, the bottom 8' or so of the pipe was coated in a thick wet iron sludge.
Further confusing us, when reasserting the same pipe with the new pump attached, it wouldn't go down as far as the old one, and we had to remove about 16" of pipe to let it rest at the same point as before; which I'm hoping is on the bottom of the casing screen.
We wondered whether all the scale falling from inside the casing as we pulled the pump out piled up on the bottom of the casing (on top of the screen bottom - assuming there is one), causing the pump to sit that much higher than the old one, as the pumps were not that much different in height.
Additionally, the old pump was replaced because it surged until there was no pressure, it also pumped heavy iron water, and sometimes black specks, at startup occasionally.
The new pump system has several of the same symptoms as the old pump...
Any ideas?

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Maybe the old pump motor was buried in sediment that filled the space the motor occupied. It is not good for the motor to be buried like that.

Sediment buildup in the casing could reduce the flow rate causing the well to be drawn down to where the pump loses prime. The fitting at the wellhead getting warm is likely from the pump losing prime. It sounds like you only have 8 feet or less of water above the pump.

John Spada

Reaction score
I would highly recommend you have the well cleaned out, it worked for me. Just bailing the well at the very least can do wonders.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah your well needs to be bailed or cleaned out. The old pump was surging, which meant it was running out of water and was probably what destroyed it. The new pump is 16" higher so, it is running out of water faster. Most likely your well screen is clogged and not letting in enough water. It is pumping the well dry just trying to put a few gallons in the pressure tank. Clean the well and lower the pump is the first and best option. But if you can't get any more water you can add a storage tank and booster pump system. Then even if your well only makes 1 GPM it can put 1440 gallons a day in the storage tank for you to use as needed with a booster pump.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

John Spada

Reaction score
Tell us about that. Got a photo?
Hi Reach4,

Sorry no pics, I was having issues with diminished production, and a lot of black gunk and rust suddenly coming into the house, it was overwhelming my filters. Had it cleaned and now its producing 28 GPM at the wellhead, up from about 8GPM. They just used a bailer on mine and it worked well. They also replaced the Pitless adapter with a brass adapter as the old unit was rusted badly. The guy had a bailing unit setup on a pickup just for this purpose.

Reach4

Reaction score
5 inch steel casing?

How deep?

How much crud brought up, would you estimate? 5 gallons?

John Spada

Reaction score
5 inch steel casing?

How deep?

How much crud brought up, would you estimate? 5 gallons?
Yes a 5 inch steel, I would say about 30 gallons of crude came up. The well is about 80 feet deep, cased to the bottom, my static is at 2 feet.

vlh

Reaction score
Maybe the old pump motor was buried in sediment that filled the space the motor occupied. It is not good for the motor to be buried like that.

Sediment buildup in the casing could reduce the flow rate causing the well to be drawn down to where the pump loses prime. The fitting at the wellhead getting warm is likely from the pump losing prime. It sounds like you only have 8 feet or less of water above the pump.

Is 8' of water above the pump not sufficient for average use or watering the lawn with a sprinkler?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Is 8' of water above the pump not sufficient for average use or watering the lawn with a sprinkler?
Not if you use water faster than the well can recover. As others have said, you need to clean out the well and hopefully improve the recovery.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks