S trap from disposal too deep. Just cut the right 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

SST!

Reaction score
eGxVA7ZKNygH54uKyMvuoFKmvdr5Y77u6RhqDMgHvhY.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I would redo things, install an AAV and make it a real p-trap. If possible, I'd have also gotten rid of any of the galvanized piping. It looks like you've recently installed new pex water lines...the galvanized piping should be the next thing to go! An S-trap, especially with a disposer that can act like a pump, can make the S-trap run dry (but probably not that one because of the rise it needs). The outlet of the S-trap, at the minimum, needs to be lower, otherwise, you'll have water in the bottom of the disposer all of the time.

A p-trap, vented with an AAV (less than ideal, but better than an S-trap!) is not hard to add, and should prevent the trap from being a problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
The way I picture it:
Rotate dishwasher to the left to give pipe space if needed.
Extend steel drain with same size PVC with threaded coupler.
Top that with PVC sanitary tee
top that with piece of PVC pipe
Top that with AAV
Glue trap adapter to san tee being sure of the angle of the opening before gluing san tee to riser pipe
Connect P-trap to coupler.
Other part of P-trap as you have it, but you have rotated the disposal as needed.

Trap arm must have slight downslope rather than upslope shown in sketch. ;)
Trap arm should be 2 pipe diameters long min, but the way that is measured tends to make that not a problem. Trap arm is the part where the p-trap goes horizontal to the trap adapter and santee.

I would be interested in people's opinion as to how high to make the AAV. Make it higher than shown in sketch?

img_4.jpg

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do exactly as Reach4 says for the drain/trap.
Do exactly as Stuff says about an air gap.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If I must use one, I place the AAV as high as possible under the cabinet. This helps to keep the breather valve from getting contaminated by splashing or a minor backup.

hobbykitjr

Reaction score
I would redo things, install an AAV and make it a real p-trap. If possible, I'd have also gotten rid of any of the galvanized piping. It looks like you've recently installed new pex water lines...the galvanized piping should be the next thing to go! An S-trap, especially with a disposer that can act like a pump, can make the S-trap run dry (but probably not that one because of the rise it needs). The outlet of the S-trap, at the minimum, needs to be lower, otherwise, you'll have water in the bottom of the disposer all of the time.

A p-trap, vented with an AAV (less than ideal, but better than an S-trap!) is not hard to add, and should prevent the trap from being a problem.

I am the actual owner of this sink in the house i just bought. This guy took my picture from another forum and reposted it here as his own... then took all your answers and posted them as his answers on the other site (sorry i gave him money before i realized)

Anyway, thanks for your replies

hobbykitjr

Reaction score
The way I picture it:
Rotate dishwasher to the left to give pipe space if needed.
Extend steel drain with same size PVC with threaded coupler.
Top that with PVC sanitary tee
top that with piece of PVC pipe
Top that with AAV
Glue trap adapter to san tee being sure of the angle of the opening before gluing san tee to riser pipe
Connect P-trap to coupler.
Other part of P-trap as you have it, but you have rotated the disposal as needed.

Trap arm must have slight downslope rather than upslope shown in sketch. ;)
Trap arm should be 2 pipe diameters long min, but the way that is measured tends to make that not a problem. Trap arm is the part where the p-trap goes horizontal to the trap adapter and santee.

I would be interested in people's opinion as to how high to make the AAV. Make it higher than shown in sketch?

View attachment 35835

I am the actual owner of this sink in the house i just bought. This guy took my picture from another forum and reposted it here as his own... then took all your answers and posted them as his answers on the other site (sorry i gave him money before i realized)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Plumbing/c..._from_disposal_too_deep_just_cut_the_right_2/

Anyway, thanks for your replies

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks